Kitchen Tile Reveal

We finally finished the trim work in the kitchen, so I can show you my beautiful new tile from Home Depot!

Sigh.

Here’s the before…

Yes, it’s white.  Yes, I have to mop it every few days.  Yes, it shows all the dirt and drips.  But YES, I love it anyway.  See, I had a floor that camouflaged dirt and I disliked it.  A lot.  I’d rather have a floor I love that I have to clean a little more often to keep it looking nice.  It’s a fair trade for me.

I ended up going with the 18 x 18″ Carrera Marble Dal-tile.  It’s not real marble, but a more practical, less expensive, very convincing look-a-like.

I followed the advice of the flooring specialist who installed it and had it put down in a staggered pattern.  I followed the advice of my readers and used a gray grout to hide stains. I am so happy I listened to smart people!  :)

With painted cabinets, new hardware and a new floor, my kitchen is starting to come into its own without any expensive renovations.

…and I love it.

The Home Depot partnered with bloggers such as me to participate in its Daltile program.  As part of the program, I received compensation from The Home Depot in the form of a gift card to participate in this campaign promoting the new Atmospheres Tile Collection by Daltile.  They did not tell me what to say about the products used for the Daltile Program. The Home Depot believes that consumers and bloggers are free to form their own opinions and share them in their own words. The Home Depot’s policies align with WOMMA Ethics Code, FTC guidelines and social media engagement recommendations.

Comments

1. Wow, what a difference a new floor makes! It looks like a totally different space! The before wasn’t bad, but the after is gorgeous. Your kitchen looks like a designer kitchen you’d see in one of those fancy magazines. Oh … wait a minute … IT IS!

Best,

Kimberly

2. Mary Horton says:

I like it! What a difference! Good job!

3. I love it! I also love the pattern! This makes such a difference in your kitchen! Congrats! It’s gorgeous!

4. chistina says:

Love it! I used the same tile in my Master bath! Looks like the real thing.

5. Gorgeous floor….the staggered pattern looks wonderful!!….What a fantastic difference it has made in your kitchen…enjoy!

6. Your new floor looks marvelous! And I LOVE your chalkboard wall. So fun.

7. Yay! It’s so pretty!

8. It looks amazing! So worth the extra mop time for sure. I love how fresh it looks. Wishing I could re-do mine. Someday!

9. Two things I appreciate.

1. That you went with the floor that you loved. Having a floor such as this will be motivating to keep clean.

2. You found what you loved and it still was inexpensive. You have to be much more creative when having a lower budget.

The kitchen looks beautiful! Thank you for sharing, as always.

10. I love the staggered look. That makes it look even more like the real deal.
    Now ENJOY it!!!!

11. I love the whole new look!!! I was going to suggest my favorite new ‘MOP’, when I noticed that one of the page sponsors was a steam mop, similar to mine. Love the ease.

good Job!

12. Linda Cummings says:

At Publix today I picked up a Christmas idea book hoping I would be inspired. Surprise! The first page I opened had a photo of you. I said to my husband, “Look, it’s Miss Mustard Seed!” He said, “Get it, there are probably ideas you can use!” Now how many husbands would know who MMS is? I had to smile as I put the magazine on the counter! Linda

13. The transformation is WOW. Great choice. Real marble is too soft and would quickly show wear. As to having a white kitchen floor (as I do) the dirt is there whether you see it or not so might as well see it and address it. Went to AC Moore yesterday as they were placing the new magazines out and the BHG Christmas one was there! Yah! I bought it and read your piece…so lovely.God has blessed. And may I say you look divine in your pic.! Best part…your family Christmas photos are DONE.

14. Almost forgot, love your cute kitchen dinette!

15. Mary Stone says:

Love the entire kitchen re-do. Can’t blame you for wanting to paint the cabinets. They look great, and of course I am a fan of white kitchens. What paint did you use on them? I too have a similar hide the dirt flooring and I hate it because it looks dirty all the time…LOL! I think with a steam mop you won’t have much trouble keeping a white floor clean looking. Love your blog decor ideas.

16. It looks lovely Marion! I’m with you, I would rather take better care of something I love.

17. looks great!! love it! I will have to look into that tile for our bathroom. I felt the same way as you about our wood cabinets before we painted- yes it hides the dirt, but now I probably clean them better when I see the dirt! ;)
    Your kitchen looks fabulous! I just noticed your chalkboard wall- I don’t remember that! When did you paint ? Did I miss that post??

18. Love your new floor! The staggered design is fantastic. You’re a better woman than me for committing to moping more often :)

19. Lynn H says:

Your new floors look wonderful! I really like the green step stool and office chair. Did you consider doing your kitchen chairs that color too?. My grand mother had chairs that color in her cozy little kitchen.

20. Wow, love it and your kitchen feels even brighter! Great tip on the gray grout…will remember that!

21. Brandi says:

Clean, classic, Amazing! and even makes the kitchen seem bigger! (opens it up somehow!) LOVE!

22. Looks fabulous!! Staggering makes the room look bigger I think. And it looks like your tiles are close together for smaller grout lines. You will love that and it really is beautiful.

23. Snow White says:

I’m so impressed with your kitchen! I’ve been thinking about painting the kitchen furniture white and after seeing yours I’m totally convinced that it’s a great idea. What kind of white did you use, is it a shiny white or is it more a frosted white? Thanks for your help!

24. I like the larger 18×18″ tiles. The style is going towards larger tiles on the floors. Nice remodel job.

25. Rozlynn Rogers says:

Hi!

Could you please tell me if this is super shiny like the real Cararra tile, or if it has a honed down look??
    I do not want super shiny. Thank you so much! I can not find this in the store to see what it looks like hands on…I appreciate your response!!!

26. Hi there would you mind sharing which blog platform you’re using?
    I’m going to start my own blog soon but I’m having a hard
    time making a decision between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal.
    The reason I ask is because your layout seems
    different then most blogs and I’m looking for something unique.
    P.S Apologies for getting off-topic but I had to ask!

Trackbacks

1. [...] missmustardseed.com via Lauren on Pinterest Share this:TwitterFacebookPinterestTumblrEmailLike this:LikeBe the first [...]

2. [...] Kitchen Tile Reveal [...]