Grain Sack Upholstery

I love using antique European grain sacks for upholstering furniture.  It gives an immediate character to the piece of furniture and it’s very durable, which is important in a house with two young boys.  So, when I acquired this pair of chairs, I knew I wanted to use a grain sack to cover them.  The pair of chairs cost $95 and the grain sack was $40.  Here’s the result of my $135 and a few hours of work…

I know.  I love them.  Here’s what they looked like before…

I left the paint finish exactly as it was. I wouldn’t have picked black for them, but when I set them in my space, they looked great.   So foam, batting and the grain sacks were all they needed.  Fortunately, the foam and batting came with the chairs, so I didn’t have to buy that, but I did have to rework the foam to make it fit the chairs.

The materials have been hanging around my house for a few weeks and I finally decided to tackle them yesterday.  I have been a little aimless with my days since my boys started school and a project was the perfect thing to get me back on track…

…and it did.

Comments

1. Deb CLaytor says:

LOVE OUT LOUD (LOL), which isn’t suprising, look at all the comments.
    And I know a couple people have mentioned it, but a TUTORTIAL??
    I have a French Provencial chair, and I would love to recover the pink fabric
    that it currently has, but have no idea. And since I have no idea of how to do this
    either, it is staying pink….until further notice.
    Thanks for all of your INSPIRATION!

2. perfection, love them, the grain sack is just perfect for these chairs :)

3. WOWZER!!!!
    You did good!!!
    I would love to find a source for grain sacks. All the ones I see are mucho dollars.
    I am about to redo a fauteil for Amy’s shop, and am planning to make faux grainsack out of a dropcloth and paint. Which I’ve never done before…….OY OY OY!!!

4. Jean Bass says:

Could you come and live at my house for awhile ? ;)

5. Rebecca says:

Is it the lighting, or did you depart from your old favorite, bright white gimp? I have to say that I really like the look of ivory, especially against the black chair frames. Lower contrast, more antique effect. Fabulous.

6. We would love to see “The Mustard Seed brand” on grain sacks HINT! HINT!

7. Once again….”fabulous”! I was wondering when we would see these gorgeous chairs again. I love the simplicity of the grain sack, the neutral tone. I remember when you first posted about these, my first thought was how fortunate the cane backing was in such great condition. They’re perfect!

8. you did a really great job with those. they look so professional!

9. They look fabulous!!

10. The other Gail says:

Where do you get the grain sacks? I would love to know!!!

11. Margaret says:

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are EXACTLY right, and so glad they found a home, and the perfect upholstery for them. Great job, Marian. You’re so talented, it blows my mind!
    XO

12. Hey, remember when I said my birthday was coming up??? LOL. Love these chairs!

13. Donna says:

Those chairs are a keeper!!!

14. Juanita Markham says:

Gorgeous! I, too, would love to find an affordable source for those sacks. All i have seen are too pricey for me. By the way, I’m also really jonesing for that cow painting on your wall behind the chair! Oo-la-la, I do love that!

15. love the chairs, but REALLY love the painting !

16. Amber daSilva says:

These are gorgeous,and I too would LOVE a tutorial! I have a chair that would look fabulous recovered with grain sacks, but I don’t know where to start!
    Also, I have a bunch of grain sacks that I have been collecting, but all seem to have some stains. Do you have any suggestions for removing the stains without ruining the fabric?
    Thanks!
    Amber

17. Claire says:

Please, pretty please … Tutorial please – they are gorgeous!
    Claire x

18. Katie says:

I’ve been looking for the right fabric to re-upholster my kitchen chairs and I LOVE this idea. How many grain sacks do you need per chair?

19. Deborah says:

I love your chairs..Does anyone know where I can find and purchase this material. I would love to purchase some. Thanks so much. Deborah

20. buy ambien 5mg – generic medication ambien cr

21. Jeanna says:

Very pretty! A tutorial would be great :) I know how to recover a chair when you can wrap it right underneath, but I don’t know how to do what you just did, lol! For example, the arms………. they look hard. And where can you buy grain sack that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg?

22. Tammy says:

Another beautiful project!

23. Heidi says:

I sure wished I had seen your Miss Mustard Seed site long before my mother gave away most of my grandmother’s furniture during a downsize. She had 8 chairs just like this and dressers that would make you giddy at their potential. Such great work you do. Thanks for sharing.

Trackbacks