messy home, chippy chair, healthy food

Well, I did it again. I took the weekend off and it was much needed. Last week, especially towards the end was really insane. For the other photo shoots done in my home, I popped into a few pictures, but it was pretty minimal.  For this shoot, I had a stylist for my hair and makeup and I was the center of attention for the bulk of the shoot.  It was quite a change of pace, but I have to admit it was pretty fun to be a model for just a couple of hours.  While I was all prettied up and one room in my house was all prettied up, everything else was a mess.  I had boxes of props for the shoot and furniture waiting to be refinished and boxes containing 20.000 color cards for my milk paint line.  The poor UPS guy that morning gave me a look and said, “You have TWENTY ONE boxes today.”  This is probably the same poor guy who hauled 12 boxes of tile and a vacuum to my porch last week.

Then the photographer brought in all of his gear, which only blended into my mess.

You’ll have to wait until the magazine comes out to see the shoot (and of course I’ll post about the details when it comes out), but I’ll share what I did to the office chair…

Hello, Lucketts Green.

It was a fine example of chippy Milk Paint perfection.

I’m doing a good job with my new mentality about food.  I’m NOT on a diet.  I’m replacing foods that I like that are bad for me with foods that I like that are good for me.  So far, it’s working out really well.  I didn’t even WANT a doughnut last night, which is a big deal, because I love a good doughtnut.  Instead of sweets and junk, I’ve been craving olives and peanut butter with celery and arugula.  Arugula?  I know, but I love it.

I wish cherries were available year round.  They are my favorite.

Lastly, I’m so sorry that I totally forgot to announce the Decor Steals winners!  They are…

Mary F (merryhenke) is the winner of the pharmacy jars and Lisa Sommers wins the olive basket.

And the winner of the French Charmed Giveaway is…

JanetD!  Enjoy the beautiful paper and cook book.

Comments

1. Brenda says:

Absolutely love the chair!! I have a similar chair (only white) in my craft room. I’m thinking it needs to be Luckett’s green.

2. Lucketts green is an absolute winner. I love it. Can’t wait to try it!

3. Laura Nygaard says:

I have a chair just like that! We have been having issues with the wheels though. Can’t get them to stay on. DH was going to screw them in but the wood started to split. He wanted to throw it away, but I saved it. Just need to figure out how to fix it. It was his grandpa’s.

4. Kathy says:

LOVE the chair! The MOST perfect green. Will you have a list of milk paint vendors soon?

5. Vicki K says:

I love how you painted the chair and how that milk paint flakes – does it continue to flake after it’s finished?

6. Karen G. says:

LOVE the Luckett’s Green…and I love arugula, too!

7. Tracey says:

Haha, I work for UPS. Most likely that was the same driver since they bid on routes. Your neighborhhod was probably supposed to be an easy residential route. He’s probably wishing he scheduled his vacation right about now so some other poor sod could haul all your stuff up to your porch. :)

8. You can say “I can have any food I want, I choose not to have the ones that make me feel bad.” As you get older (I say from experience) you have to make more of those decisions in the interest of your health and long term attractiveness. I realized the other day that if I didn’t drink 75 ounces of water a day I get those lines on my upper lip. The ugly ones. The ones that look like I used to be a smoker. You get used to not eating junk.

9. GOODNESS GRACIOUS, MERCY DAISY!!!!! You are one busy girl! But in all the boxes, and hoopla, I smell Fun, Fun, FUN!!!!

Can’t wait to see the final story on this project!

10. Julie says:

LOVE the green! I have placed a HUGE pre-order of milk paint and CAN NOT wait!! Just so I will be ready to go with it, did you use the bonding agent with the milk paint on this chair or go without? Thanks Doll!

11. Linda Cummings says:

Oh, I am so glad I pre-ordered Lucketts Green! I can hardly wait to receive it along with French Enamel and Tricycle!! There are furniture pieces in my garage waiting for your paint!

Love the office chair! LC

12. Sandy A says:

Love Love Love the painted Green Chair!!!

13. Keep taking some time for Yourself and your family…I learned later in life….How important…when I thought work work work….and I found out that family and my Health…is so important….have you had cherrys, and how about rasperrys…..love them…..

The chair I really like and the color is great…..

I wish you could have a little work shop of your own, so that things like ton’s of boxes could be delivered to the shop….since you work so hard to make your home look great…

Did I understand you returned the marble tile….and getting something else….Take care …..

14. You are so smart to take some time for yourself. One thing my husband and I have learned is that when you work for yourself there is never an end to the work you can do and if you don’t make yourself take a break, your body or mind will find a way to do it for you. And that is often not a pleasant process. Your chair is beautiful. Once again, you hit a home run!!

15. I absolutely think you should take EVERY weekend off! You are going to burn yourself out if you don’t. Taking that time is just as healthy for you as the food you now eating. Love the green chair, just the right mix of chippiness.

16. LOVE the way your office chair looks in Lucketts Green! Do you have to prime or sand before using your paint? It really is a gorgeous color and named after my favorite shop! I know what you mean about donuts at night, but I’ve been working on an “alternative eating plan” myself and love fresh fruits and veggies this time of year. Have you ever been to Farmer John’s while in Lucketts? He has such wonderful produce! We love to head out there and to the Lucketts store on weekends. Can’t wait to hear more about the magazine shoot! So much excitement for you lately! Thanks for sharing!
    Hugs, Leena

17. Love the chair!!
    I’m on this food change thing too these days…but what the heck is Arugula?

18. clarika tanner says:

I have a project which will be perfect in Luckett’s green, cannot wait. How is it some blog followers have already pre-ordered their colours? and when can i?

19. You have a good approach, you are not on a diet but change in lifestyle. I lost 20 pounds like that 9 years ago and still keeping it off. Good luck with everything!

20. Gloria says:

Some have visions of sugared plums, not I …… Visions of Luckett’s Green….. I truly LOVE that green. Have a list of accent pieces to add color to out home. I can hardly wait. So happy for all His blessings for you and yours.

21. Sarah Clark says:

I love what you do. I love your creative style. I love that you seem grounded. I love that your faith and family are a priority. But is it time to have an away from home place of business? Might be your next step in growing your business. Looking forward to the magazine photos and some of that milk paint.

22. Kelly aka Deaf chick says:

Love those messes however, **coughcough* when is the *ahem* the milk paint *cough* coming out?

xo

23. Lesley says:

I just love this color! The chair turned out fantastic. I have an older dresser and mirror that I am anxiously waiting to refinish with this beautiful color. Hoping to be able to buy some soon!

24. Gorgeous Green! I love it. I have an old chair very similar to this…this is just what it needs! Although it’s not very sturdy. It needs a little TLC! Thanks for sharing!!
    Leslie

25. Brandi says:

Hey Marion,

I’m not sure if I’ve ever mentioned this before in the comments section but for healthy lifestyle eating I wanted to recommend http://www.greensmoothiegirl.com Her concept is more lifestyle, not diet. She gives reasons why the foods are good for you and what they do. It’s an overwhelming amount of information at times. There are some things that may not work for you, (they don’t for me…I will have fluoride in my toothpaste :) But I try and adopt more and more of what she promotes into our daily lives. When I make better choices about sticking with it, I DO notice that I feel better and have more energy. I think she said she only needs about 5-6 hours of sleep and she wakes up with energy.

I don’t know how far you are away from places like PA, MA, MD and DC but she’s giving FREE seminars in all those places in the next few months. Info on her website, left hand side. It’s worth going…even if it’s just for information. At some point when she started this lifestyle (I think almost 20 years ago) she lost 50 pounds. In other words, she’s not a stick figure who’s had 4 kids and knows nothing about being overweight…she’s a healthy slim weight because she makes good food/lifestyle choices.

Just wanted to pass it along :)

26. I love how the chair turned out! fun to see it all chippy. And can’t wait to hear which magazines you will be featured in – I think you said this one was the third this year?!!! How exciting!

27. I LOVE that chair…so, when and where on the paint!

28. I LOVE arugula! I kinda like that green paint too.

29. Barbara says:

Please do a tutorial on EXACTLY how you painted that FABULOUS chair. I want to copy you each green step by green step!

30. I’m having trouble deciding WHERE or FROM WHOM i should order my milk paint. . . any advice on how to choose?
    I’m loving that chair!
    breida

31. LOVE that paint color on your office chair! That is what I love about that paint.It looks so authentic when you want that chippy look.And does all the work for you too!
    xx
    Anne

32. I know it’s a very private question, but could I ask you how much you paid for the chair? I found one just like that to sell on the Internet and it’s in a small village not that far from where I live… But before going there I’d like to know how much I’m “supposed'” to pay and try to get it for less… I’m very good at that with tables or dressers, but with old desk chair, I’m at a loss. I don’t know if I’ll be able to do such a good job as you with it, though.

33. How very excited you must be…I would not mind the mess at all knowing what is coming up!!….The chair is fabulous…love that Luckett’s Green!….and yes, fresh cherries are my favorite too…can’t get enough of them!!

34. I love the “behind the scenes photo shoot”!! Now this is a reality show to watch!!! Just whisper to the UPS guy the next time, “Job security, stick with me, kid, and you’ll always have a job”!!! lol …..I’ve pre-ordered the book, I’m ready to buy the paint!! Can’t wait for the article!!

35. What is it about arugula!? I love it too, there is nothing like it. Sometimes i think arugula must have some endorphin releasing mechanism they’re gonna find out about one day. It was awesome seeing the messes in you house too, makes us all feel better, believe me. Sounds like a really fun time being all fixed up and fussed over for a photo shoot. And… the chair looks great!

Cindy

36. Janice says:

You should leave a treat or small gift for your UPS guy :) I bet it would make his day.

37. Carrie says:

Marion, Can you tell me what size package the milk paint comes in? and how much paint it will make? I definitely want this green!

38. Denise T says:

Love this chippy green desk chair. Can’t wait to buy the milk paint. One of the project – plate wall display was completed last weekend and the wood is raw. .I am wondering how it will work with milk paint. If not, then I will use regular paint . Please advise me on “raw wood.” Plan to do milk paint on other pieces of furniture .

39. Janet Lawson says:

Love,love,love the chair..I can’t wait to see the photos from your shoot..Have a great week..

40. Regarding chippy chair:
    I recently tried using milk paint, and I was overwhelmed by the chipping. It just kept coming off and coming off. Even when trying to put on wax, the paint just kept coming off. I feel like even with the wax, if I bump up against the paint it will still rub off. Would a bonding agent alleviate this?? Should I use a polyurethane finish instead of wax?
    Any advice you could give would be much appreciated. I feel like I must have done something wrong in the painting :(
    Lindsay

41. Sounds like lots of crazy fun! Love the chair, too!

42. Glad to hear that you took the weekend off. Your adventures right now will remain more fun and rewarding if you are able to maintain some balance. So, good for you.

The green??? Gives me a happy, giggly kind of feeling….like I am not nearly so old as my driver’s license suggests I am. Just thought you should know!

43. Love how the chair turned out, love the food philosophy AND…I need to go get some cherries.

Bernadette

44. Can I use milk paint on raw wood? I love your style and projects.

Trackbacks

1. [...] posted here: messy home, chippy chair, healthy food This entry was posted in Healthy Food and tagged august, chair, chippy, comments, end, food, [...]