taking a risk & a fizzy fix

A few weeks ago, I wrote about possible future projects and many of you noticed that my kitchen floors aren’t exactly my style.  They’re a currently a pinkish beige with faux leaves on it (with a shadow and everything.) Seriously…who wants faux leaves on their floors?  I’ve actually had people try to pick them up.  So, after I mentioned that, I received a very timely e-mail asking if I’d like to test out some tile.  Well, don’t mind if I do!

So, I selected the tile I wanted and it was shipped to my door (it wasn’t available at the store in my area.)

I went to leave my house one morning and could hardly open the front door because there was a barricade of boxes.  The tile!!  (Yes, and a vacuum as well.)  I’m sure the UPS guy hated me on that day (and it was one of those glorious mornings when it was over 100 degrees and soupy.)

It was a bear opening all of those boxes, but I was excited to see what the tile looked like.  Here it is…

I had to resist laying the tile all over the floor, but I put out enough tile to get a good idea what it’s going to look like.

It feels pretty risky, but I think it’s going to look gorgeous.  Would you put white marble on your kitchen floors?  I’m going to use a dark gray grout to make the pattern more dramatic and so I don’t have grody looking white grout after a month.  So, that’s one project that will be coming up soon and I’ll share all of the details about the tile, the process of laying it down and, of course, the big reveal in future posts.

This week I need to get my house ready for another exciting photo shoot and I’m picking up two great furniture pieces to paint to introduce two more of my Milk Paint colors.  I haven’t been able to get too much done over the past week, because all of my babysitters were at camp or on vacation or traveling and my husband was out of town on a youth trip.  It’s challenging to get things done with two little boys (3 and 5) who need to be entertained.  I played a lot of Lego’s and we went bowling and swimming and watched some of the Olympics.  I had a good time and it was sort of freeing to make the decision to not blog over the weekend.  I think I’ll need to do more of that as I’m working on better balance in my life.

Speaking of…I have totally kicked my Diet Dr. Pepper habit and haven’t had one for over a week (that’s huge for me since I’ve been drinking at least one a day since I was 15 years old.)  I did try an all natural soda and I really like it…

I know it’s still not healthy, but it’s just fruit juice and carbonated water, so it’s a nice option when I need a fizzy fix.

Comments

1. oh and one more thing, so glad you are off the DDP, might as well be called DDT, LOL!
    Try high powered fresh organic green juice it will give you more energy that you can imagine, it really helped me kick the caffeine out of my life and I feel so much healthier now.

2. The tiles look great. Not so sure they would work in my house since I have four dogs, but I like the white look in other people’s homes. The tile looks really nice with your cabinetss and rug. Can’t wait to see your kitchen when you get everything finished!

3. Kathleen says:

Hello I mean hello have you tried an 89 cent liter bottle of a carbonated water – a citrus carbonated water or a natural carbonated water in an more expensive green bottle ?? v s the house brand carbonated water the local market sells ?? hello the bottom line is we WANT to be carbonated — as we age the sweet tooth falls out and the spicy, dry strange flavors of vinegar and fresh cracked black pepper kick in, trust me. Benefit early on the yellow rice can be spicy ,not bland reach for the curry — the Bam from Emeril and the garlic powder not garlic salt EAT MORE SALADS with red wine vinegar and Olive Oil a salad is more than lettuce yes you can add lean ham, chickpeas, mushrooms, cucumbers and scallions carrots green peppers does this sound like a great deal of chopping well then get chopping. Good luck and enjoy

4. I love the floor! It is going to be beautiful and so nice and cool in the summer. You will definintly have to wear sock come winter, but I love the white.
    Also, I am glad you are finding balance. I know it is hard, but you will be thankful you did. As the mother of three almost grown girls, I actually get homesick for those days when mine were little. Enjoy as much of it as you can and don’t feel guilty. This stuff will still be here when you get done, but they won’t be little forever.

5. Penny says:

Pretty tiles…it is going to look stunning! My parents just put marble in their bathroom and they are not slick at all, even when wet. I want to say their tiles are not a shiny marble, perhaps they have a bit of texture? I’d probably be cleaning them all the time though, I’m a bit of a neat freak when it comes to the floors. As for the fizzy thing, I drink a carbonated water (Ritz or Syfo) neither brand has anything but water, carbonation and I drink the one with a dash of added lime juice. No sugar added, no salt etc. And boy are they are Fizzy with a capital F!

6. maggie says:

I’m sure your boys were over the moon to have special time with you! The new flooring will look so much better in the kitchen! Marble is good, but I’m wondering about grouting. I thought marble was never grouted, just set really close together? Maybe these tiles are different, though.

7. That marble floor looks great with your cabinets. I have a marble-like porcelain floor that I am getting rid of. It’s not the tile, but the grout. You are smart to go with a darker grout.

8. Stephanie says:

The white tile looks great next to your rug. Does your rug take up most of the floor space in your kitchen? The only reason I ask is because I have a light colored tile as well with grey grout. The one thing I don’t like about it is you can see everything, but that’s just me. I’m what they call an OCD cleaner. However, you have a beautiful rug (by the way, where is that from?) and it looks like it takes up alot of floor space. Just food for thought. :)

9. I have similar flooring in my kitchen with gray grout. We bought the house from my grandparents, so it wasn’t something we put in ourselves. I have mixed feelings about the white marble in the kitchen. When it’s clean it looks amazing, but it’s very difficult to keep it clean. I like the brightness it gives to the kitchen, which is very important to me. However, we have a black(ish) dog, and every hair stands out on the floor. Yours looks great! Good luck!

10. Tis is the rug in my kitchen. http://www.target.com/p/home-azul-floral-wool-rug-blue-brown/-/A-11925149?reco=Rec|pdp|11925149|ClickCP|item_page.adjacency&lnk=Rec|pdp|ClickCP|item_page.adjacency (From Target, obviously, but I bought it in the store when it was over 50% off on clearance.) It does take up most of the eating area and I plan on getting a runner for under the sink.

11. Pamela says:

I’m glad you kicked the diet soda drink..its so bad for you..so is High Fructose Corn Syrup..but natural drinks use natural ingredient so I’m glad you are moving in that direction. you made a great choice with the marble..its beautiful..love the white and black in your kitchen,,mine is black with white..and i collect Ironstone,,now two hutches are full..wow..sorta turning into you guys…have fun decorating you do great work

12. Catherine T says:

The white marble tile will look gorgeous!

13. Pamela says:

my husband is finishing our barnwood counter top for the new kitchen island..wish there was a way to show it to you when it is done…I was able to salvage some of my old horse barn after my horses were a thing of the past..(boohoo) but my husband is a pilot and has his own plane, so horses had to go,,thats ok..I was getting to busy to give them all the attention they deserved so I donated them to a Saddlebred College…they loved it there. I had him build me a large island an incorporate my corbels from 9 years of saving them for that special occasion…it is the time…they look awesome on there. I love coming to your blog and seeing what you have up your sleeve next..also had the good fortune to see you on the Nate show…see dreams really do come true! Glad for you..

14. Jackie says:

PLEASE consider only blogging during weekdays. Absolutely everyone who loves your blog would want you to have some family time or “you” time. You seem to be stretching yourself very thin, and I guarantee your blog will remain fabulous, and your readers will remain loyal if you allow yourself weekends off. And most of all, you will be happier. I speak from experience and I hope others will back me up and encourage you to do the same!

15. LouiseM says:

Love reading your blog! Was just wondering when your paint line is going to available?

16. Love the tiles! It will look great! I have marble in my foyer and love it. It’s really easy to clean.

17. I love the white marble! How exciting to be able to put in a new floor. It will look amazing with your cabinets. I can’t wait until you have unveiled all of your milk paints. I am dying to buy your product and try it out on some small pieces in my house. I really want to paint my kitchen cabinets with one of your colors! I hope you continue to enjoy the summer with your boys. Good luck with all of your projects.

Peace!

18. The marble is gorgeous. And I love those Izze sodas too. I can identify about the Lego playing. I am currently staring at a coffee table full of them. I thought of picking them up tonight, but why bother since we will just drag them out again tomorrow. Currently enjoying some me-time as should you.

19. Your tile choice looks fresh and so lovely! I have the same marble on my bathroom floors and walls. I HAD to have it. I loved it. I have learned some things about it since living with it and caring for it for the past 6 years.

It stains. You can create a poultice to draw out stains (mostly). Martha Stewart has some great tutorials on this.

Seal it. Seal it really good.

It is MUCH softer than granite or slate. I have all three flooring finishes, and I find marble to be the most finicky. Don’t use any kind of abrasive cloth or powder cleaners.

And lastly, it will never look as perfect as it does the day you install it. Scratches and stains will happen, so just don’t sweat it!

Also, while I did not have a diet soda habit, I did have a pretty unhealthy wine habit! I gave it up a year and a half ago and I really enjoy mixing Club Soda or mineral water with OJ for a treat.

Take care!

20. Carissa says:

My only complaint about marble floors is, as Jen posted, it’s super porous and you can’t clean it with most cleaners. I used to have to clean about 1000 sq ft of marble flooring on my hands and knees with just hot water and a dash of dish soap. needless to say, I don’t think I’ll have marble flooring anytime soon. I think the easiest way to clean it is to use a steam mop that doesn’t even use any disinfectant and that way you don’t ruin the marble. can’t wait to see the finished product

21. Christine says:

Hi! I have a very light tile in my kitchen. It shows a lot of dirt (teens, spills, 2 dogs, etc.)…we have a small ranch. It DOES clean up beautifully, but shows the dirt a lot.
    Anyway, I (made the mistake) of cleaning the floor with bleach (to sanitize)…..the grout is darker in some spots and lighter in others. Since I’m going to be replacing it anyway, it doesn’t matter, but if you plan on keeping your grout dark, you will want to think about that. Also, how porus is it? Will red wine (for instance) stain it? YOU prob already thought about all this, it’s me that’s the doofus! ha!
    LOVE your blog!

22. Karen says:

Marian,
    Lowe’s sells a grout sealer that is really easy to use. The aerosol can is made to hold upside down and spray. No bending over or getting on your knees. I used white grout and sealed it. It has stayed clean. I re-seal once a year to keep it that way. Even if you go with grey grout, I recommend sealing it. Otherwise, even the grey will stain if something is spilled on it.
    Karen

23. Birdie says:

Great that you kicked the Dr. Pepper. Try carbonated water (LaCroix doesn’t have sodium) and just add a couple of slices or a few drops of lemon or lime. You might not even need any sweeteners. Some restaurants offer “soda” in the self-serving sodas stations. Enjoy!

24. I have marble floors (honed) in all of our bathrooms. Be sure to seal your marble. It will still etch, but that will help prevent staining.

25. Denise T says:

The new flooring looks great in ktichen. Izzie sodas are one of my favorites. Coke was the one I used to have a lot but have not had too many over 15 years . Have them at some certain times with my family.

26. I totally hear you in regards to the diet pop issue. I recently kicked a diet Pepsi habit. I do miss it, and occasionally have one when going out to eat or watching a movie, but I find that a spritz of lemon in a soda water does the trick and isn’t as bad as the pop.

27. Can you say seltzer? I have been drinking it with just a smidge of grape juice, cranberry juice, you get the picture. It is way fizzier than soda, and I have found that’s what I crave. I just get the store brand, it’s much less expensive than the other brands around here anyways.

Love those new floors, too! Just have people take their shoes off before entering. I have ceramic tiles, and luckily you go through the mudroom to get to the kitchen. I ask for shoes to be removed so, a) the floor stays relatively clean, and b) it is super slippery when wet.

Take sometime for yourself and your family- that trumps all!

God bless!

Sue

28. Oooohhhh, we LOVE Izzes! They really aren’t bad …. no sugar {just natural from the fruit} ….. that should count, huh? ;)

29. Okay. . .I LOVE the white marble tile! It will look fabulous!

As for the Diet Dr Pepper. . .I can’t give that stuff up. I drank 2 twelve packs in three days, not counting the 24 oz ones I picked while getting gas, and during a stop in at a 7-11. . .I did buy some canned seltzer water and have been chugging those down like mad. . .Especially in summer, I love to mix seltzer water about 1:1 with a sweet red or white wine for a very refreshing drink. Sometimes I’ll even muddle fresh or frozen berries in there. . .as for Izze–they are one of my favorite sodas. . .I’ve also discovered lavender flavored soda at Marshalls and Home Goods that is just fabulous. It makes a great float when topped with lemon sorbet! Yummy!

~Mikey @ Shabby French Cottage

30. Wow! Finally I got a webpage from where I be able to really take helpful information regarding my study and knowledge.

Trackbacks

1. […] mentioned last week that I returned the beautiful rectangular marble tile that I bought a few weeks ago for my kitchen floor.   Well, here’s the full story.  That beautiful rectangular tile I […]