What else would I call the black in my milk paint line? I thought about “fan”, but that didn’t work for me, so I went with Typewriter, one of my other favorite vintage decorating elements.
Introducing this color was tricky for me because I don’t usually paint pieces entirely black. It looks too heavy to me and I think you lose a lot of the detail of the piece. So, I decided to leave the drawers wood, paint the body black and add a little decorative painting to the front.
Here’s how the dresser started…
Those stripes are contact paper. I was about to rip them to shreds (figuratively) for being so ugly, but then I realized it was really pretty clever. They applied a burled-looking contact paper in strips to look like inlay. Ugly, but the idea is clever. Very thrifty, too. I pealed off the contact paper and went right to painting the body of the dresser. Unfortunately, the stripes where the contact paper was showed through the paint, so I lightly sanded and applied a second coat. That did the trick. The front of the drawers were pretty gunky, so I stripped them to expose the pretty wood.
I chalked out a decorative design on the drawer fronts and painted in the details. I didn’t want to heavily distress this piece, so I just lightly sanded the edges with a sanding sponge. I didn’t do any prep work or add the bonding agent and the paint didn’t flake on this one. You just never know! I finished with my furniture wax, which turned the charcoal-looking paint to a soft black.
This was a fun piece and I love how it turned out.
I’m not hosting FFF tonight. It’s a holiday week and about 123 degrees in most parts of the country, we’re going to skip a week. No one should be painting furniture out in this heat! (Well, I guess I broke that rule, but I was in my basement.)