the big black box

It all started with a black Friday sale.  We had been thinking about getting a flat screen TV for a while and we found the one we wanted on an Internet sale for $1000 off.  We decided it was time and pulled the trigger.  The TV we owned at the time fit in an armoire in the corner, but that wasn’t going to work for the new flat screen.  Despite the sacred DIY rule to never remove a fireplace, we decided to remove our fireplace, which didn’t work and we weren’t very fond of anyway.   As soon as we got home from visiting family, the project began.  (Guys don’t procrastinate on a project when a flat screen TV is involved.)

It was messy, but the demolition only took a few hours.

I patched and painted the wall and found a perfect vintage buffet to use as a console.   For a while, though, I struggled with how to handle the large expanse of wall around the TV.  I was hoping to use some chunky antique corbels to support a shelf to hang over the TV, but that idea didn’t pan out.  One thing I did have on hand was lots of plates, plate hangers, nails and a hammer.  Light bulb!

My husband is like a human level, so he helped me eyeball the arrangement, so it was symmetrical.  It was a very cheap and easy way to deal with the open space.

The TV is definitely still a big black box hanging on the wall, but it looks a lot better with some pretty friends.

Comments

1. It looks fantastic sitting there, & I have to say I love your furtiture. Mary

2. Had to post because I did the same thing with our big black box! This is an pld post before I knew how important photography was but you get the picture: http://www.urbanorchardinteriors.com/art-part-2/

So hard to hide that big black rectanlge!

3. We tore out a modern gas fireplace that was in a corner so that our bookcases and armoire could fit in the living room. Tearing it out made it possible to put in a window and some huge mouldings around the window. The room was really opened up and made much brighter, and the fireplace was ugly and costly to run (woodburning fireplaces are illegal here). I’m so glad we took it out.

4. Margaret says:

Amazing, I love this, you have totally changed the room. This is more in
    keeping with your style. I am in love with your curtains, great fabric!

5. Miss Home Body says:

Sorry, but I think that we that try to keep the beauty of the home can fight the TV hanging on the wall in the middle of our home. Where does it stop. Hanging old plates around an ugly black thing does not quite get it for me.

• Not trying to start a blog comments war here BUT I doubt you have your TV plugged into the wall in your closet and you only watch it in a hidden room so it doesn’t “ruin” the look of your perfectly glossy magazine worthy home (Gasp!) ;-)

6. Julie says:

I have been following your blog for quite some time and this time I have to comment….only you could make a big black TV look wonderful. Well done. Again. Thanks for the inspiration. As a homeschooling mom of three, I live vicariously through your wonderfully creative work.

7. Janet Lawson says:

The first thing I see when I look at your wall are the plates..
    A matter of fact I see a few blue and white ones that I would gladly take off your hands..
    LOL..
    Have a wonderful weekend..

8. LOOOOOOOOVE this!!!

9. Holley Anderson says:

We too removed the fireplace in our living room.If more people went to the site Burning Issues and read how wood burning can affect the health of everyone, especially children ( much more than cigarette smoke) they’d look at their fireplace with a much more critical eye. I love your solution to incorporating your new tv into your room. One question – I have a small collection of tureen, etc. lids and have wondered how to hang them. I see you used one in your arrangement and wonder how you did it. Thank you for all of your inspiration and creations. Holley

10. Absolutely STUNNING!!! :-D

11. Shell We says:

Woohoo you’re truly my heroine! We’re about to purchase a house with 2 fireplaces…in TX. Really people! Anyway the first thought I had was to cover the one in the family room so that our monster flat screen could go in the space. I was just curious if you were going to show a full out tutorial on how you covered yours, like what you used, did you stuff something inside the firebox, etc. Luckily there’s no demo or at least very little with both in this house. They just have tiles around the firebox & no mantles. So maybe I could get away with building a fake wall over them. Thanks!

12. Perfection! Love the touches of green you’ve added in. Such an inviting space, for adults and kids alike!

13. Katiasergio says:
  14. Katiasergio says:

Is this the old project you showed here: http://missmustardseed.com/2011/12/favorite-home-project-in-2011/.
    Favorite projects 2011

15. Katiasergio says:

Favorite projects 2011? Looks great anyway.

16. Katiasergio says:

Favorite projects 2011? Looks great anyway.?……

17. I like the blue & the white with the touch of bamboo green on the wall and chairs.

18. Ingela says:

Beautiful idea whith the plates!

Why don’t you also try framing the flat-screen whith a nice, antique feel, mirror/ picture frame?
    (You’d probably need to add some battens for distancing it out from the wall.)

I’ve always thought I’d do that. But we don’t own a flat screen… :)

Thanks for your inspiration.

Ingela

19. Carey Garcia says:

This is so pretty! Thanks for the great inspiration!
    My question to you is- where do you hang the Christmas stockings? We have a home without a fireplace, and I’ve been struggling with this one silly thing.

20. springscrunning says:

Looks gorgeous! Such a creative & cheap way to fill the wall! Also love that they’re all mismatched.

Trackbacks