didn’t make the cut

I had to do a lot for my book. A lot. It was so much more work than I anticipated.  Weeks of writing, hundreds of pictures, hours of photo editing, weeks of rewriting, dozens of projects and days of staging.  After all of the work, some of what I did didn’t make the cut.  That’s a good thing.  When I’m writing for my blog, I don’t have to carefully edit myself, because I can write another post tomorrow with new content.  With the book, we had to edit everything down to the best I wanted to share and the most important words I wanted to say.

So, a lot of great, but not perfect-for-the-book stuff hit the cutting room floor, so I’m going to scoop some of it up and share it on my blog.

Exhibit A:

A dated china cabinet, but one with really cool lines and lots of potential.  I made a deal with myself that I wouldn’t buy china cabinets anymore.  They’re a pain to move and a pain to paint.  This was the heaviest piece I’ve ever moved.  It was a beast, but it was really cheap and I needed pieces to work on, so I broke my promise to myself and took it on.

So, I painted it in a custom mix of ASCP colors with a warm red interior.  The red interior was a little different for me, but that’s what I wanted – something different.

I liked it, but didn’t love, LOVE it, so I decided to put it on the chopping block.

We’re in the final stages of editing and reworking the book and it’s about to be sent off for printing.  So exciting!!

See you tomorrow night for a new installment of FFF!

Comments

1. So excited for you with the book. Love that china cabinet. I can’t even imagine how you moved it!!

2. But, it’s only Wednesday, isn’t it?

3. she’s so speedy she makes Friday come on Thursday night!

4. thanks for sharing ‘the beast’ with us. She is beautiful just the same :) Hope you are having a wonderful week!

5. Holly says:

I am so excited for you! I love the china cabinet…not really loving the red though…it seems to me to be a little overpowering for the the outside and normally I am a huge red fan. But that’s just me. All of your hard work IS going to pay off!

• Yeah, that’s exactly how I felt. When I brushed it on, it was a raspberry color, which looked really cool with the blue/gray, but then it dried a lot darker than I expected. I wasn’t about to paint all of those shelves again!

6. Oh my, I cant imagine how wonderful the book will be if this didnt make the cut! I believe this would have to be my all time MMS favorite!

7. How exciting! Love the red :)

8. your book will be a success…just consider the average number of comments in a single week…times 52 weeks in a year…and then the blow upon your email reponse on yur paint….your a inspiration to a wide range….and we want your book and to see your succeed….Love the hutch…the red is maybe a little stronge…maybe a effect of some sort to soften and you would like it better.

Now can I give a shout out to you,on the ease of writing a comment….you have the best and easiest by far comment sections….not Robot loops, no google verify…and it knows who you are and you do not have to type everything….that is a key to your comments and we all love them as much as you do..

9. Bonnie says:

I love love love it !

10. I actually like the red..It is a nice contrast with the blue and the white, and besides it provides a nice pop of color.

11. Debbie says:

You are such an inspiration to us all who do not dare to stick our necks out and take a chance ! I am so appreciative of what you share and what work you put into your efforts on our behalf! Your book will be awesome and you will become better for the experience :>) You Go Girl !

12. Vicki K says:

The hutch is a bit unexpected but I like it! So what happened to it? Have you sold it? Or had to move it again? One of the downsides of creating a marvelous but LaRGe piece!

• Miss Mustard Seed says:

I sold it a few months ago at Lucketts.

• Do you remember what combo of ASCP colors? Did you mix yourself? Maybe a rough guess on percentages? I know this was a few months ago but I would like to try the combo on the outside.

Looks great.

13. Well if that’s an example of what didn’t make it then this must be one awesome book. I’m so looking foward to it..

14. JaneEllen Jones says:

I think the hutch would have been sensational in a dark navy or green with a cream or lighter blue/green interior or reversed would be great too. Just my feeling cause I like the contrasts. It looks great how you have it. Mostly I love all your ironstone. I have a few pieces but really have become enamored with it since I started frequenting all the wonderful blogs. Love the simplicity and beauty of it.
    Don’t you have any of those plastic things to put under the feet so a piece will slide nicely? They work great. I am always moving heavy pieces on my own on carpet and they work great.

15. You are such an inspiration to me. It really worth it, to break the rule and buy another china cabinet, I like the blue painting. Whit the red one, I am not so sure.
    I am so excited, the book will be great, I’m looking forward to it. Hugs, Renata

16. You have some typos in your post Marian, I think you meant pain to move and pain to paint but it says paint to move and paint to paint. Think you have paint on the brain which isn’t at all surprising!

I love the china cabinet, but not the red interior. It would look beautiful with a white interior :)

xx Karen

• Miss Mustard Seed says:

Thanks! Yep, I got an e-mail from my proofreading mom this morning. I almost always have one mistake.

17. Good for you on getting the editing done.
    Love the cabinet…that red interior really suits it.
    Hugs
    SueAnn

18. I love the red interior! Fabulous contrast to your AMAZING collection of ironstone and different than anything that I’ve seen in the recent past! Well done! xo

19. fantastic!!! love your ironstone. i’ve been collecting for a few years, but my collection is more like a grouping in comparison to yours. lol

20. Carol Carrasco says:

I love the red, it’s funky and unexpected! I am so excited for your book and the milk paint! :)

21. So excited about the book and for you! I’m sure it’s been super crazy for months and months but maybe it will settle down soon…after the book tour of course, and the TV appearances, and the autograph hounds, and then there’s the paparazzi, and the request for a second book, and maybe a regular magazine column, and….well I’m sure it will settle down sometime…..{sigh}
    Blessings, Lorraine

22. Goodness!! If that’s what you took out of your book I can’t wait to see what’s in! It’s beautiful.

23. Michele says:

I LOVE it! My living room are those colors and I wish I had room for a peice like that!

24. I am not sure why you are not LOVING it! I think it is one of the best things you have shown! Love the red interior with light colors on the outside. Such a great contrast to the all white objects. Red, white, and blue will never go out of style…..red ,white, and blue does not always need to be be american flag stuff!

25. Karen chic-tiques2010@hotmail.com says:

Love the outside but…. the red is too overpowering. I would repaint with a soft and very light grey/green or a darker grey/blue would be nice. Can’t wait for the book!

26. Well, I love your piece because the red is unexpected and displays your ironstone so beautifully. Can’t wait to get my hands on your book!

27. That is a beautiful piece! I love it! If that didn’t make the cut, I can only imagine the beauty that did! Can’t wait to see! Will you be taking pre-orders for your book?

Mary

28. The cabinet is beautiful, for me I didn’t like the red, I usually love red but something seems off with the red to me… the outside finish is stunning I love it… how exciting to be doing a book I will have to keep my eye open for the release…

29. I would like to say thank you! You see I have done something similar to some of my kitchen cabinets… once blonde oak cabinets are now white, lined with red. Red and white damask wrapping paper that lines the back of our kitchen cabinets, that is. And yes I thought about painting the interior just red but it seemed like it would be overwhelming, henceforth the paper (plus it was a quick fix and I was in need of a couple of quick fixes at the time.)
    Have a wonderful day! And the thought of the book going to the printer just leaves me giddy… sigh, yet another book to add to my Christmas list. :)

30. MARY EGUIA says:

I came across a beautiful blog I thought you might want to check out,Belgian Pearls.OMG ! Such pretty things and the furniture reminds me of some of your work.

31. I think it looks amazing. I wouldn’t have room in my house for such a beautiful piece, but I can still admire.

32. Ramona says:

One question……when do you sleep? I don’t know how you do it all, I’m just glad you do! A true inspiration to us all!

33. Oh, my gosh! If this didn’t make the cut, I can not wait to see what did. The red inside this piece revs up my china cabinet loving heart!

34. Oh dang! I think it looks fabulous, and i don’t even like red. It’s so unexpected, and i’m amazed at how cool it looks that way and how well those colors work together…. oh well…. you’ve done a thousand gorgeous things that WILL make the cut!

Cindy

35. Ingrid says:

Marian I am so excited to see your book – I can barely stand it!! :)

36. The red interior is beautiful! I love it.

37. Marian, WOW! That china cabinet looks wonderful! Thrilling because if this great piece didn’t make it, I’m even MORE excited to see the finished book!!!! Hang in there during this last big push!!

38. Actually, I love the red…the white just pops against it and it is really unexpected…Maybe it would not be so overpowering if it were a smaller piece of furniture, say a curio cabinet as an accent piece in the room rather than the focal point of the room….but nonetheless, I do like it….Can’t imagine if that hit the cutting room floor, what the great photos are that made the cut….

I am excited that I will finally be visiting your booth at Lucketts on Friday…in the area, so it is a “must see” on my list!!!

Have a wonderful day!

39. I love the china cabinet. I think it is beautiful.

Cynthia

40. Donnamae says:

Personally think that is one of the prettiest pieces you have ever done! Stunning!

41. Donna says:

Just want to say I think you are awesome. I am very happy for your successs. Everything you do is so creative and beautiful. I can’t wait to purchase your book. I’m also amazed with your energy level. Good Luck with all your adventures. One of your biggest fans, Donna

42. Denise says:

Not sure what to say about red, but I was surprised how this color of red brings out and the ironstone collection is not overlooked. As for me, I see the ironstone first before the cabinet. What a creative person you are! Looking forward to your book and milk paints. I can’t wait to get my hands busy – painting and repholstering. Thank you so much for sharing this great post.

43. Hi, Marian!
    I can’t wait to see your book!
    God, I don’t know how we have the strength to move stuff around like we do.
    My arms are always sore from painting or moving stuff around, LOL!!!
    This (business of decorating, painting., going to fairs) is no “frilly” stuff, let me tell you!!!
    See you tomorrow!!! I am painting a bed I hope to be ready to your party!

44. I love the cabinet. The blue and white paint transformation is stunning. I showed it to my husband and he thought it was especially striking with the ironstone. I understand the red thing. There are sooo many shades of red.and when you get a particular one in your head it’s frustrating when it doesn’t come out that way.
    Can’t wait for your book! So much inspiration awaiting!!

45. I’m a fan of red so I love the china cabinet. I can’t wait to try the MMS Milk Paint in tricycle.

46. I think this looks great! If this wasn’t good enough to make it into the book, I’m excited to see what did!

47. I love that china cabinet! It’s gorgeous. It give me an idea with a smaller cabinet that I have..thanks for sharing

48. Can’t wait for the book!!

49. Hello Marion,
    I was just reading your blog. You are such an inspiration to so many of us in blogland. You are so dedicated to your great work and I am sure it takes so much determination. I wish I had some of your drive.
    I was looking at the great china cabinet that you painted for your dinning room. It is such a good piece and has such good lines like you said. As I see it, the red is the focal point on the cabinet. If it were mine I would have painted the body a soft white and not have trimed out the piece in white. I do know that sometimes we all linger over what colors and how to make it show the best after painting. I am so glad that you willingly say when you are disappointed with how a piece turns out. It lets us know that we can change our minds after we have finished a project, and not feel defeated. A designer, Alessandra Branca , from a post by Cote de Texas, has a secretary in her living room, that has the inside and the top painted red and the body is painted as I can see a soft off-white or very light grey. You might want to look this up. I know that you are very knowledgeable about your work. Sometimes a pic is more than words. Keep the blogs coming and I look forward to seeing and reading them. Thank you for your service.

Judy W.English

50. michelle fuller says:

I know everyone’s talking about the china cabinet, but personally its the curtains that I love – where are they from?

Trackbacks

1. […] was reading one of my favorite blogs,  (Miss Mustardseed),  and Marion happened to have a newly painted hutch filled with Ironstone pictured on her blog […]