colours & projects

I’m in the phase of getting ready for Lucketts where I spend most of my day in the basement painting, stripping (furniture), sanding, waxing, distressing…you get the idea.  I get to the end of this kind of day and I wonder what in the world I’m going to post about.  I’ve finished pieces, but they’re still in the basement and I have about seven other things in the works, but they’re really not ready to show.  So, I’m just going to share some of what I’ve been up to today.

When Mini first arrived to watch my boys for the day, I took a long soak in a hot bath.  I was sleepy and a little sore and I just couldn’t face all of the work that needed to be done without a little down time first.  After the bath, breakfast and a quick check of my e-mail and I got to work.  Here are a couple of the new pieces I was working on…

I stripped the top of this piece to get it ready for refinishing, but I didn’t get around to painting it yet.

I also stripped the top of this piece and painted the base in a pretty blue (one of the new colors in my milk paint line.)

This wood is gorgeous, so I had to leave the top unpainted.  After stripping it, I cleaned it with mineral spirits, sanded it smooth and finished it with Hemp Oil.  God knew what He was doing when He made wood grain like that…

My husband and some of the former youth guys (now in college) came over and watched the boys for a while (while they played on the X-Box), so Mini came downstairs to help me with painting this piece…

I was working on mixing paints for my line and had the perfect color to use on it…

I added some white accents after I took this picture and I can’t wait for the reveal of this piece (and the color!)

I spent a good bit of time playing with colors and I made a real mess of my workbench in the process.  I knew in my head exactly what colors I wanted, so it was just a matter of finding the right mix.  I think I have most of them figured out, but I’m still working on a couple of them.

I did find the perfect green…

I also finished a hutch (with awesome brass chicken wire in the doors), stripped the fabric off a French caned-back wing chair, painted the base coat for three signs and painted a stool.

I don’t think I’m going to have trouble getting to sleep tonight.  Whew!

The winners of the Decor Steals Giveaway are…

Kristin M. wins the desk organizer

and

Jessica from Dear Emmeline wins the butterfly wreath.

Congrats!!

Comments

1. Oh yeah, that bright green is awesome! Can’t wait to see all you finished photos!
    Congrats to the winners – it’s SO fun to win!

2. Those colors are gorgeous! Can’t wait to see all the final reveals.

3. Wow. Great pieces, and I have NO idea how you get it all done in a day. I struggle getting a piece into the shop a week! I may have missed it, but when will be able to buy your milk paint?

• We’re hoping to launch it in late June or July. It’ll be available online and at retailers around the US and Canada. (We have over 50 who are interested in carrying the paint line!)

4. I love that you made sure to add (furniture) after the word stripping. ;) I always feel the need to as well!

5. Ok, that green is pure awesomeness! i can hardly wait to see how you use it….

6. vintageshabbychicks says:

Hi Marian..first of all, you find the most fabulous pieces of furniture to work on!! its so exciting to see you in the mixing the colors mode…love what I,m seeing so far…especially the yellow:-) Julie

7. How do you get that furniture ready? Strip it all? What do you use in the basement that isn’t too stinky?
    Can you just rough it up and paint over it? It just seems like such a massive job to me….

• LindaMc says:

Donna, I was about to post that same question. When the surface is old varnish, what do I HAVE to do to get it ready–don’t want to go to TOO much trouble–I’ll lose patience.

• OK, Marian, curious minds want to know….can you help a girl out?

• Linda, It depends on the kind of paint you’re using and the look you want. With latex, you need to use a bonding primer first. With ASCP, you can just paint. With milk paint, you add a bonding agent directly to the paint and just paint. It does depend on how slick the varnish is, though, as far as how I handle it.

• No, no, no…I don’t strip everything. I only strip the finish off the top of pieces I want to refinish. I love the look of a wood top against a painted base. When I paint a piece, I just paint it. I only prime if I have to and that’s pretty rare.

When stripping a piece, I use Smart Strip or Citristrip and neither are very stinky. I also have an air filtration system in our basement workshop, so I turn that on with I’m sanding, spraying or using something stinky.

• Thanks so much! I didn’t know any of that. Will need to try your new paints because I hate stripping furniture!

8. I love what you have done so far! I recently posted about a pitcher I got that I put tulips in that is a very similar color of vibrant green! I love it! Color makes me so happy! I also recently used a fun turquoise blue on a frame I “distressed”. I use that word lightly because I am a complete novice at painting, let alone distressing, anything. I think I need to read some of your tutorials. :)

9. Wow! You are such an inspiration! Those piece are gorgeous. That wood grain is so beautiful. Can’t wait to see all your reveals. Usually when you sand a piece on top and stain do you put a coating on top? I just got this great piece and I’m going to paint it with chalk painted but wanted to stain the top. It isn’t gorgeous wood like the piece you showed but was handmade years ago and I think a bit of wood would be nice. Thanks for the advice!

• Miss Mustard Seed says:

Yes, I do put a topcoat on. I usually use clear wax or today I used hemp oil straight on the wood (it didn’t need stain.) A topcoat will make the surface water resistant and will protect it from scratches, etc.

10. Linda@Coastal Charm says:

And I thought my day had been busy with painting three pieces of furniture…waxing them and tagging lots of new merchandise, but you have outdone me for sure. Oh…a bubble bath sounds so good…I’m off to get that done:)

Blessings,
    Linda

• Miss Mustard Seed says:

Well, that’s still a busy day! I’m just in crazy Lucketts mode, which is warp speed.

11. love the green too!! and yay I won something :) thanks so much! I know one little lady who will love to have it in her room!

12. Jodi Jackson says:

I cant wait till your milk paint colors are revealed. Thanks for the sneak peak!! I am excited to see what you have in store for Luckets this year!!

13. Colleen Q says:

Love your stuff. I have bought a couple of pieces and…..I’m scared to actually paint them…..One day soon I know I will wake up and tada…..I’ll have the guts. Keep up the work, work, work, but do have a few more bubble baths, slow walks, and latte’s.

14. Merri Jo says:

Every single piece is amazing and your descriptions are tantalizing~~can’t wait to see it all finished. Although, it’s only going to make it even worse that I am too far away to attend your fabulous sale @ Luckett’s!! Hope your sleep is refreshing!

15. Those are some MIGHTY FINE pieces!! Love them all. Can’t wait to see the reveals :)

16. You work so hard!! It must feel really great to bring them all to Lucketts!!

17. You are amazing. I can imagine that it’s really hard to shut off your thoughts when you go to bed at night…but how fun to get to choose your own colors! I can’t wait to see what you come up with.

18. Angela says:

What I want to know, Marion, is where on earth do you find furniture like that?? lol! I don’t live in a huge city, but it’s not THAT small! However, I just can’t find any of the beautiful carved pieces you always have!
    Perhaps I should clarify, there IS furniture like that out there, but I’m not willing to pay hundreds of $$. I guess I’ll just have to keep looking at your beautiful creations and keep looking in thrift stores and garage sales. Can’t wait to see your milk paint projects!

• Miss Mustard Seed says:

I do live in a good area for antiques. There are tons of shops, auctions, estate sales, good yard sales, used furniture stores, etc. in about an hour radius. I don’t get them all for dirt cheap, but I don’t think I’ve ever paid more than $300 for something and it has to be very, very special for me to spend that much.

19. Judie says:

Love all the pieces. Can’t wait to see the finished products!! Know they’re going to be beautiful.

20. that green color is soooo fun! love!

21. Denise says:

Wow! Love all of them. Can’t wait to see how this green color turns out. I like this particular color.

22. Love the lighter green. My kitchen table is an even lighter version of that. With a copper top. It is basically the only color in my kitchen. Hope you have lots of blues. Don’t forget a brown, okay? Ann

23. The Empire dresser with the grain is so beautiful, it might work unpainted, just with hemp oil. You could paint the inside of the drawers, or line them with maps or music. Ann

24. Can’t wait to see that green on something! Also anixous for your line of paint and colors!

25. Can’t wait to see the reveal!
    Green——the best color for summer :)
    XO
    Kristin

26. Sue Pagels says:

You find the BEST furniture! Here in NW Indiana, people put dressers with missing drawers on Craiglist and then want $200 for them! I don’t know if I could paint the one empire dresser – it is gorgeous! But everything you do ends up beautiful ~ and congrats to the winners! How fun!

27. my daily inspiration and Today I need it….tomorrow I need to be up early and get my B in hurry up mode.
    I would love to know how you do it all….my boys now all so grown and now grandkids…time passes.

Love the pieces you found,you will make lots of dollars at the Luckett store(which is again an inspiration) really all Bloggers- HGTV should do a show for Friday nite fun,On Luckett and all the talented within that shop alone…what fun!

I still want to carry your paint at our location,and have discussed with our owner and two other vendors who are paint paint lovers.

Thank you for what you do!

28. Houston's Source For Modern and Contemporary Home and Office Furniture Since 1982, Leather Furniture, Recliners, Dining Tables and Chairs, Bedroom FurnitureFurniture Stores in Houston

29. MARY EGUIA says:

Love the colors so far.But I noticed no reds or oranges? Are you planning to have that hue?

30. I too love the colors. That blue is amazing!! And that is a perfect green for sure!
    Yes you will sleep well
    Hugs
    SUeAnn

31. Boy, I’m struggling just to get one small table done and I’ve been working on it since Sunday! I just wish I had half your motivation and all your luck in finding FABULOUS pieces. I also wish I had a basement to work in – sorta. It would stink to have to lug furniture up and down stairs all the time. There would have to be a makeshift ramp for that, somehow.

32. I love that wood grain, and the milk pain colors are absolutely gorgeous! I was at Lucketts store 2 weeks ago, and I thought of this blog…but I couldn’t find your section! I’ll try again next time. :-)

33. Holy Sha-Moly!!! You are one energetic chick-a-dee. I needed a nap just reading that post! Way to go and get stuff done – everything will be amazing! Can’t wait to see the finished products!

34. jean reistle says:

Good golly Miss Mustard Seed! You sure know how to accomplish lots of stuff in a matter of a few hours! How do you do it?! Please write a book on how to get it all done! Good luck — know it will be awesome! Jean from South Jersey

35. Marian. first I love that you left in the ‘u’ as a good girl should in ‘colours’. :) that being said – I LOOOVEE YOU! You are such an inspiration to me, even tho I am not a producer personality! When will you be bringing the pieces to Luckett’s? Do they have a big thing coming up? I need to check out their website. Usually, I ‘get’ to go on Mother’s Day, Christmas, birthday…really, God richly bless you and ALL the wonderful creative juices He bestowed on you – I know we ALL are so grateful!

• I’ve always liked that spelling and, since I’m working with a Canadian company, it was fitting. :) I am getting the pieces ready for the Lucketts Antique Market, which is May 19-20. You should come if you can make it! It’s definitely the biggest and best event of the year. There will be 150 antique vendors, plus the Lucketts Store and the design house will be open.

• Thanks for the dates on the Antique Market…is that the same as the Lucketts Fair? Either way, my 2 boys love to go “picking” there, so we always make several appearances in the spring and summer. Last time, my 8 year old mustered up the nerve to ask the price of a tennis racket, and they were charging a dollar but she said he could have it for free. How sweet is that? :)

• Miss Mustard Seed says:

It’s actually the same thing. The “Old Lucketts Fair” is a craft show in August that isn’t affiliated with the Old Lucketts Store. The OLS puts on the “Lucketts Antique Market” the third weekend in May. Make sense? Hope to see you there!

36. Can’t wait to see. Wish I could find a pice like that chest — it’s try similar to the dresser I just did.

I can’t wait to try your milk paint — used it forty years ago!

37. Love the Greyish color. Swoon! On the grain on the 2nd piece. Oh my that is so lovely. Good luck with all your work!

38. I’m getting ready to restore our old windows and a little nervous about stripping them…..but know it will be worth it!
    My mom has stripped paint plenty but is scared to paint stuff lol…….& I like to paint but am nervous nellie about stripping wood……

Looks like a fun lab project mixing and finding your paint colors for your line!

K

39. Allison Hale says:

When you strip just the top how do you protect the rest of the piece from getting stripper on it and bubbling up the surface you are going to paint? or do you just not worry about it? Thinking about redoing our farmhouse table a la Miss Musard Seed-love your blog & your work!

• Miss Mustard Seed says:

I don’t worry about it. It’s pretty rare that I get a big glop of the body of the piece and I don’t mind a little spot here and there. It makes the paint crackle a little bit and I sort of like it. I just roll with it.

40. Oh I DO hope you didn’t paint the 2nd photo piece. Stunning as is.

PLEASE make a nice Sage green. I’ve yet to see one. Sloan’s greens are so harsh.
    The 3rd from left sample on the cardboard in the pic above looks interesting to me.

41. I’m getting excited for your Lucketts show…I just can’t believe I’m so close and will miss it. But this trip is about my brother’s 25th Wedding Anniversary, not about me (I keep wondering how come I’m not in the center of the universe? haha)…take good pix, can’t wait to see all you get done (I know today’s 7 pieces will only be the start of an awesome display…Coreen

42. oh, oh, I believe I know a little something about that blue you used today… But I know how to keep a secret, don’t worry… I’m sorry my answer wasn’t that helpful about that blue, by the way… That last dresser is a stunner…

43. Anne Boykin says:

MMS, I don’t know how you get it all done! It’s a wonderful thing about your milk paints. I can’t wait to see all the finished projects, they’ll be lovely. Hugs, Anne Boykin

44. I’m very excited about your paints! Can’t wait to see the final products!! I loved your addendum to the fact that you were “stripping” the basement. Hilarious! It would certainly have been odd if you stripping, you know, yourself, rather than furniture. Makes me giggle :)

45. I spied a gorgeous peacock blue on your pallette of colors. Amazing. It looks so vibrant!

46. Vickie says:

I would really love to see what you did with the buffet. Did you paint it or ??? Hopefully you will post pictures? I have a similar one and am t-h-i-n-k-i-n-g…..
    what to do what to do. LOL. Give me some ideas Miss Mustard Seed. I am WAY down in Florida………..wish I were closer and could see you at the market you go to.

47. Susan Baumann says:

LOVE the french enamel blue milk paint!!! Cannot wait to try it out …… got a desk in mind for it. Hurry!!!

48. I can’t wait to try your new paint line!!! When will it be available? :)

49. Really appreciate you sharing this blog post. Want more.

50. Sherry says:

Makes me sad to see you putting paint on those old furniture pieces.