Latest Ironstone Finds

I don’t try to hide the fact at all that I love ironstone.  I spotted it about 12 years ago in a magazine and the love has remained constant.  I’ve waffled on crazy quilts, baby dresses, milk glass and silver plate, but I have never waffled on ironstone.

My collection has grown to the point that I have to pick and choose what I want to keep and what I want to sell.  When I find a new piece I want to keep, I usually get rid of another.  Here are a few new acquisitions I decided to keep…

I’m into sugar bowls right now.  I’ve been through pitchers and casseroles and now my heart beats fast when I spot a sugar bowl.  I sort of like the chunky ones and I don’t mind if the lid is missing, but I love how dainty this one is.  It’s a keeper.  For now.

I have been selling casseroles lately, because a person only *needs* so many.  This one has a very unique shape and is in great condition.  Keeper.

…and this last piece is really special.  It looks like a little casserole, but the you open it up and see it’s a soap dish!  I haven’t seen a piece like this, so…

…you guessed it…

keeper.

I’m heading to Lucketts tomorrow to refill my space (already!)  My pair of French chairs and the green built-in cabinet sold, so I’m bringing down a dresser and some smalls I bought while I was out shopping today.  I’m also picking up some chairs (one was reupholstered in grain sacks and it’s a keeper) and a dresser.  Never a dull moment.

Comments

1. I was antiquing with my sister this weekend and saw my first piece of ironstone, I didn’t buy it but I did think of you! LOL

• Kristen says:

I too, saw a piece of ironstone this past weekend at a yard sale…it was a small soup tureen and was only a dollar! I probably should have picked it up, but I asked myself “do I really need to start yet another collection?” Plus, this yard sale had so many awesome things, priced so cheaply…kudos to my nine year old son who talked me into going out in the first place :) First yard sale Saturday of the season – yay!

2. I found a nice smallish McCoy offwhie (my color of choice) planter today at a new to me thrift store for $15.00. I was happy!

3. Linda@Coastal Charm says:

I am right with ya on the Ironstone LOVE! It’s so hard to let a piece go to my booths.

Blessings,
    Linda

4. Beautiful pieces! The older ironstone sugar bowls are so big compared to a sugar bowl now. My son bought me one for Christmas and I love it!! It’s so fun to look up the marking and figure out the age. :)

5. Oooh…for sure keep that one in the background of the first photo! It looks like Red Cliff! I have my mom’s Red Cliff tureen and they can get quite pricy! Love the grape design! Lovely finds! Happy week!…hugs…Debbie

• Miss Mustard Seed says:

Oh yes. That one will never be sold. It belonged to my grandmother and is one of the nicest pieces I own.

6. I knew I loved ironstone before I knew what exactly it was. BIg walls of not-quite-perfect, almost-white china set my heart to fluttering when they appeared in magazines.

Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to find any to make my very own. :( I’m in Vancouver, BC where apparently ironstone wasn’t ever very popular… or maybe I haven’t found the right part of town where it’s hiding, just waiting for me.

Ugly mid-century furniture is EVERYwhere…. but ironstone is nowhere to be found.

7. JaneEllen Jones says:

I’ve been a fan of alot of zines that showcase ironstone, never thought I’d really like it. Now I’m loving it for it’s beautiful simplicity and the white will go with anything. This (Grand Junction, CO) is another area that ironstone and antiques period aren’t popular. They never have antique shows here. The flea markets are a bunch of over priced junk. OH me what to do. I get better finds at our little thrift store.

Referring to another article you had on tonight about pricing. It sure is something you have to work on and find out the hard way. I made a really cute bunny garland for Easter and added really cute embellishments but the few people I tried to sell them to said they were too expensive. I made them out of heavy watercolor paper so they wouldn’t wilt when put away for next year also. But I’m going to keep plugging away. I’ll be making some rustic signs for a craft show we’ll be in May 5th. and am going to have to decide how to price them. Thought maybe I’d go on few of the blogs Etsy stores to see what they charge, get some ideas anyway. Saw you on Nate few weeks ago, you’re a natural.

8. andee says:

Do you have place on line that i can see what is for sale at your store or otherwhere? I would love to be
    able to buy from you online.

Andee

9. Oohhh…I envy that soap dish! I also collect ironstone but my passion of late has been creamers. I can’t pass one up!

10. I feel your pain about loving ironstone, I’ve got the same addiction. I love your new pieces, especially the little soap dish. Thanks so much for sharing.

11. Those are great finds!I cannot resist white ironstone or any white dinnerware.If it is white and vintage it comes home.So far I have not run out of room.
    Anne

12. What a beautiful piece. I collect ironstone as well for years and love finding a great buy. The best was a cracked platter with a sign that said “Free”…I couldn’t pick it up fast enough. Now I expect to find more Free stuff…what are the chances! :)

13. I have a transferware piece that is like your soap dish. If it’s an insert, the piece with the hole in it. Mine is a butter keeper. You would have put water in the bottom and the butter on the dish and somehow it kept the butter fresh. I have French butter keepers that I use but they work in a different way where the butter is inverted into the water so it’s more of a seal going on.

14. I’ve never had soap dish envy till today; what a find!

Have you heard about soaking ironstone in hot milk to remove brown disclorations underneath the glaze? Just curious if you know of any remedies.

• Miss Mustard Seed says:

I actually wrote a post on cleaning ironstone… http://missmustardseed.com/2012/02/how-to-clean-ironstone-houzz/. I haven’t ever tried any of the remedies, because I like the discoloration. I do have one pitcher I used as a vase for flowers and the water discolored it pretty bad, so I’ll probably try something on that one.

• Pamela Fife says:

Marion, I did try the peroxide cleaning remedy and it works wonders,,I mixed the peroxide with dawn dish soap in a squeeze bottle..I soak the piece a little bit , not long..as the crazing means the piece has opened up a bit and allows moisture to enter..then when it dries, it expands when wet again and the finish pops off,,that’s why they discolor. Also for anyone reading, that makes the piece unsafe to use for food purposes..bacteria can be present. I found out the most expensive way, as I had intended to use my pieces, not just to look at. I have been lucky to find pieces that have no crazing, or discoloration, but the ones that have discolored are my favorites. For those new collectors out there like myself,,watch out for the replicas, there are a lot of them. But it is because of Marion’s website, that I am now an Ironstone freak! Two hutches full, and I can’t stop looking for it.. p/s a quick note,,don’t leave ironstone sitting in dish water,,wash by hand and dry immediately, and the peroxide cleaner works wonders on bad pieces when left in the sun to dry..it helps with the whitening part..

15. Anne Boykin says:

Hi MMS, What a gorgeous soap dish! Is it going into your new half bath? Just being curious. I enjoy hearing of your adventures and appreciate how willing you are to share your loves and experience. Hugs, Anne

16. I have loved white ironstone for many years – dare I say more than 20??? I still can’t resist although it is harder and harder to find the really great pieces. I have several of those soap dishes – they make fabulous little dishes on your table for granola in the morning or maybe your homemade strawberry jam – just remove the little drain first!

17. KAREN says:

Hi!! Miss Mustard Seed,

I’ve been a fan of yours for a while now and we have some things in common. Your husband is a minister. My husband is a minister and started with being a youth minister first. A thousand years ago, I did craft fairs with my friends. I like sewing and painting furniture, but my “things” are pillows and decoupaging chairs. I’m not even close to your expertise, tho, and drank in your info on slip covers yesterday.

Now, the things that make my heart go pitter-pat are majolica and BUTTER DISHES!!!! You have a COVERED BUTTER DISH instead of a soap dish. (But – it is very fun as a soap dish and a really cute idea! I may use one of my butter dishes that way.) Anyway, there are 2 reasons for the little insert inside. You can put the insert into cold water and chill your butter and/or place ice in the dish and the ice will melt and drain to the bottom. The other reason is that when hand-churned butter was made, it tended to “sweat” a little and the hole allowed the the moisture to drain.

Either way you use your dish, you’ve got a keeper!! It is really pretty!

• Miss Mustard Seed says:

Someone else said it might be a butter dish. Good to know! I acually thought, why would they make a sugar bowl and matching soap dish? Duh. That makes total sense that it’s for butter. Thanks so much for sharing! I love learning something new. :)

18. Marian, how do you know when something is ironstone versus just plain white china? I feel a little embarrassed asking- maybe everyone knows except me!

19. sue pagels says:

I love ironstone too – have since I was a kid but have not collected too much of it – a platter here and there. I did find a pedestal type bowl for $2 which I adore and some cracked, crazed plates that I had for sale in my antique booth. Saw so many cute ideas for them, I brought them home! I had them priced so cheap and no one saw their potential, so that was a sign they needed to come back home. Instead of painting silhouettes on them like I saw in a magazine, I cut out some black silhouettes of birds and taped them on there. I could then re-use the plates after Halloween for another project! But they looked cute in the meantime on display ~ I also have quite a few ironstone pictures which I love to use for flowers in the summer. Thanks for all the great posts you always do! So much info and you are always so helpful!

20. Carol says:

Saw this while browsing CL and thought of you!

21. Denise says:

The ironstone can be both casual and elegant. They can be functional or decorated. I always enjoy using them and love them.

Might go to Lucketts

22. Dear Marian!
    I love your collection, specially the sugar bowl…
    I LOVED the butter dish, too! Isn’t it fun to learn?
    I will read your post about how to spot ironstone and keep an eye out for them!

23. Judith Shapiro says:

I grew up with a beautiful white soup tureen in my house. I never know where it came from. I did not know if it was my grandparents or my parents. It just was always there. I remember when I dusted the credenza it sat on I was, oh so careful not to break it. And it never broke. Three years ago, my beloved mom passed away & I asked my 2 sisters if I could have that tureen. This evening I was making room for some holiday decorations & I had to move it. For some reason I turned it over & with the help of a magnifying glass discovered that it is Ironstone Red Cliff. For some reason, all those years I never looked. It simply was the white soup tureen. That is what we all called it. Of course I Googled it & found your Website. My tureen is still perfect but now it is full. Full with my wonderful memories. Thank you for letting me share & I love Ironstone, too.

24. I really enjoy reading through on this website, it has superb articles. “A short saying oft contains much wisdom.” by Sophocles.