my hospital visit

For those of you who are familiar with me, you know it’s torture for me to just sit and rest.  Home decor is my hobby and my business, so it’s hard to keep me from it.  Well, when I checked into my hospital and was faced with this room, I knew it needed my help.

A little painting here, some sewing there and ta-da…

Veranda Showcase House traditional bedroom

Don’t ask me how I got those windows in there.  It was quite a chore.  I would show you what I did to the operating room, but they wouldn’t allow me to bring my Nikon in there.

OK, totally kidding.  I nabbed that beautiful bedroom picture off of Houzz.  I was a good patient and went through the same blue shower cap, airy gown experience everyone else does.  Things were a little rough and blurry yesterday, but I’m feeling more like myself today, although incredibly sore.  I feel like someone opened me up and removed an organ…oh…wait…that’s exactly what happened!  I feel like I’m going to be on a movie marathon kick for a few days and I won’t be doing core strength exercises any time soon.  I’m really looking forward to feeling like myself again, so I can get back to work, but I will wait patiently for that time.

I actually made a chandelier out of my gallstones, IV tubing and some hospital socks, but you don’t really want to see that….

Comments

1. LOL! Love what you’ve done with the place! So gald that your surgery went well! I’ve been thinking of you and keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Aren’t those hospital rooms the worst? And the coordinated fashion statements they make you wear – sheesh! What’s really bad is when the color of the food matched – yetch! Fortunately, you didn’t have to stay too long and can now bask in the beautiful glory and comfort of your own home and behave yourself and watch those movies and don’t even think about starting some massive project until you’re better, young lady! Ya hear? Don’t make me come over there! :::giving “the look”::: Feel better! Hugs, Leena

2. Somebody’s enjoying a little high from their pain meds…….:)

3. That hospital room is beautiful…you did such a great job {wink wink} Hope you are getting some rest and feeling better. Let us know of any good flicks you love while you are recovering.

4. Barbara F. says:

Funny post! Thanks for keeping us entertained, you don’t miss a beat, you’re amazing!

Enjoy your down time.

Barbara

5. Well, I can tell they didn’t remove your sense of humor, thank goodness! ;) Rest and enjoy being pampered a bit…you deserve it!

6. HAHAHAHAAHAHAHA!!! It sounds you are well, LOL!!!
    I did pray for you, the first big step is over!
    Now take care of yourself, ok? Don’t rush into doing things too soon!
    Relax for a few days!

7. A great laugh, thank you – but wait . . . Don’t be shy ! I think we all would love to see this chandelier. So ?

I also love what you did to your hospital room, the doctors and nurses might just find this room quite inviting too.
    I have never hear of ‘Houzz’ ( I live in Scotland UK) so I’m going to try and find out about it on the the big wide internet.
    Take it easy, have loads of rest, sit with a drawing/note pad and plan & draw all the things you’re going to do when you’re up and about. This is good therapy and lots of fun.
    Take care and get well soon. Mary

8. Been there and done that…don’t want to do it again. Oh wait…I did!! Ha! Different but still surgery!! Sigh! You rest…behave yourself…put down that paint brush now!! Watch movies…read magazines…in short…be bored to death. But oh so necessary. Your system has taken quite a hit and needs lots of care and rest.
    Behave!!!
    Hugs, gently
    SueAnn

• I agree, completely. This is something you need to give yourself time to heal over. It might be a few small holes on the outside, but the inside is a different story, TAKE IT EASY, or you just might regret it..
      And remember God is still in control, watching over you. Maybe ‘forced ‘ rest is just what’s needed.

Love the room redo…. would certainly make all hospital stays pleasant. :)

happy healing.

9. Enjoy your guilt free down time! As a mom, we do not get too many of those. I had the same surgery years ago and you will be really sore for a while. Don’t push it, just enjoy the rest.
    Your blog is a real inspiration to me. May God continue to Bless!

10. LOL ~ I see the pain meds are kicking in nicely. God speed on your recovery and enjoy the rest while you can. p.s – hold onto that custom chandy, it could be worth a fortune someday:)

11. Sure hope you are feeling better! I’m sure if you were in there long enough you’d be chalk painting all the metal too…lol Make sure you DO take it easy. I had surgery a month ago & of course did too much & paid for it for a week…healing thoughts sent to you…:) chris

12. Hi Marian,
    Glad to hear everything went well.

13. Sharon says:

Praying for you for a quick recovery!

14. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

15. Hi Marian – funny that you should be thinking design while recuperating! It’s only natural, right? I go through the same feelings every time I go to a doctor’s office. I can’t stand how the paint color and other items in the room never seem to blend. I always want to offer my assistance – but the suggestion never comes out of my mouth! Why are examining rooms so sterile looking?

Hope you are feeling better. Thanks for that picture from Houzz – your room would look so much better like that! Much love…

Linda

16. Alice R. says:

Glad you’re doing well. Take good care of yourself, and do rest so you’ll heal quickly and well.

17. Hahahahahahahahah! Love it!! Glad all went well.

18. Heheheh, sounds like you are enjoying those little pain pills they gave you! Enjoy the few days of relaxation, even if they are enforced. Find that book you’ve been wanting to read, or those shows you want to catch up on and enjoy!! Hope you are getting some of this glorious 80 degree weather in PA that we ar having here in VA!!! Soak it up!

19. Jill Bruce says:

Great post! Glad you are over the worst and your sense of humor was left intact. Love the room re-do. Take it easy and just enjoy your down time to its fullest. Reality will come soon enough.

20. Glad to see you are in good cheer. enjoy your down time.

21. Funny post… take care Marian, remember to spend time for yourself to heal.

22. Sharon B. says:

Hope you’re feeling better soon and able to follow your bliss again. Just don’t do too much too soon and set yourself back, which I’m sure will be really hard for you. At least you’ll have some time to surf online and get lots of inspiration for new projects!

23. I am so glad to see you are on the mend. I love your imagination too. Thanks for sharing.

24. My two bits worth of advice – sell that chandelier at Lucketts. :)

25. hahaha you’re quite the talented lady, getting those windows in there. Must be the anesthesia? ;) Hope you’re fully recovered soon!!

26. This is one of the funniest posts ever…Hoping you have a most speedy recovery!

27. I am amazed at the transformation and in such a short time frame!
    Speedy recovery to you!

28. Hope u get better fast! I loved the post and just wish hospital rooms were that gorgeous! But then we wouldn’t want to leave!

29. Hello Miss Mustard Seed

I have had a few gallbladder attacks and they are the absolute worse!!! I feel for you. I still have my gallbladder but know my day is coming.

I so enjoy your site and you can feel the passion you put into it.

I wish you a very quick recovery from the stones from hell……

My best to you, Sheryl

30. Carolina says:

LOL! Very cute and chic the rearrangement of your hospital room it bring me a big smile! I wish you all the best get well soon!

Take care
    Carolina

31. Lorretta from NH says:

So glad to to see that you are back to your happy ever loven diy bloggin self as always. Have an eventless recovery. Remember don’t over do!!!

32. So sorry. I promise it get’s better. Just do not over do it. :) Good luck…may you heal quickly.

33. Sunny C says:

You and your Family has been in my Thoughts and Prayers…..Please try to relax, so that your body can get on the mend and heal.
    I hope that you continue to feel much better, and that you are pain free!!!
    Get Well Soon!!!!!! :-)

34. As the Brits say, you deserve a ‘Toes Up’…take it while you can, We’ll miss you, but we’ll be here when you’re back ‘in the saddle’…and even as a nurse, I don’t really want to see that chandelier but applaud the ‘green’ thinking!…Coreen

35. You made me smile! I can see a new HGTV show in the making. Take care of yourself, my bloggie friend!

36. cute post! I’ve been through that surgery and my best advice is don’t overdo it too soon. And remember it will take a while but one day you’ll wake up and say “I feel great!”

37. With a hospital room like that, I wouldn’t mind being sick… Good luck with your recovery.

38. Wendy says:

Love your sense of humour! Get well soon!

39. Hope you continue to recuperate and take care of yourself!
    I’ve been there,made earrings out of my gall stones! jk
    Carol in GA

40. That made me laugh out loud. Too funny. Wouldn’t that be a nice place to recover. I think they know that no one would ever leave the hospital.

41. Sally says:

Hope you are feeling better soon! Love the remake of the hospital room, you are too funny:)

42. Glad you’re doing better, but don’t push yourself, okay?
    CAS

43. Maryann, I feel ya on the coldness of hospital rooms. Did you know that there are hospitals in the United States beautifully decorating and complete with sleigh beds….. It’s all the rage for the celebrities. One hospital is located in Atlanta, Ga. I am not asking for a totally elaborate room but seriously, for us mundane folks, is it possible to use a nice color palette and something more than paper gowns. In my world it is entirely possible… Yours too. Lol

44. Wow, I wonder what you could do with a private hospital room? I am new to your blog and I love it. As you can see, I am going back and trying to read your older posts. I am happy you are feeling better at this time!

45. I read your posts every day, but somehow missed this one. I was looking for some inspiration and came across this. Hysterical! And glad you recovered! :)

Trackbacks

1. […] out my hospital room makeover, if you missed it, and the ASCP prize package giveaway runs through tonight at midnight, so […]