{be content}

Today I was working on a chapter in my book about contentment and it was a bit of a wake up call for me.   I always felt like writing a book, a for-real published and sold in bookstores book, wasn’t really an attainable goal, but here I am doing it.  It’s something God brought to me as a tremendous blessing and a way for me to share His love with others through my love of all things home.  It’s an honor and a dream come true.  As I’ve been working intensely on the writing, though, I’ve had to neglect my blog.  As I’ve watched my numbers slip and my ranking fall, I found myself a little down about it.  I’m now realizing that those numbers have been way too important to me.  My worth isn’t found in my blog ranking or the number of hits I get.  Worrying about those things is only going to rob me of the joy and gratitude I feel about this opportunity.  It’s also incredibly ungrateful.  It’s like I’m saying, “Thanks, God, for the book deal, but I want a pony too and then I’ll be happy.”  Ugh.  Do you ever just disgust yourself?

As I was writing, I was focused on being an encouragement to those who eventually read the book, but this evening God used it to speak to me.  “Be content with where I have you.”  It makes me so sad that I have to be reminded of that in this wonderful season of my life.  It points out the wickedness and sinful nature of my own heart.

Ouch.

…but His mercies are new every morning and I’m so thankful for that.  I’m thankful for the truths God showed me about myself today.  It’s hard for me to share, but I wanted to be transparent and honest.  (My heart always pounds when I write posts like this…)

Do you struggle with contentment or am I all by my lonesome, here?

OK, so here’s what the hydrangeas are about…

I bought them to use in some photo shoots for my book and I snapped a couple of pictures of them yesterday.   I’m glad I did, because today they were totally wilted.  Big bummer.  So, they won’t make it in the book, but I do get to share them here today.

Mini is so sweet to me that in addition to caring for my boys today, she steam cleaned my family room carpet.   I’ve been putting it off because I’m really looking forward to installing hardwood floors, but it was starting to look like a leopard print and it was time to deal with it.  Plus the hardwood floors are probably still a few months out.  Thank you, Mini.  I don’t know how I could manage without you!

(I put a water mark on this picture because I know everyone is going to want to pin it.)

I think I’m going to put a big thank you giveaway together…  You’ve all been so encouraging to me during this whirlwind and I appreciate it more than you know!

Comments

1. Godliness with CONTENTMENT is great gain! 1 Timothy 6:6-8. We have to remind ourselves that great stuff like that is in the Word for a reason, because it is TRUTH. I think it is pretty darn awesome that your transparency alone will bring God the Glory and you will fulfill your purposes too! You got a pretty cool thing going on Marian!

2. Jude Jones says:

I struggle with contentment and consider myself a very happy person. I try to be grateful and recognize everyday what God has given me and not worry about what I don’t have, but being content and finding contentment does not come naturally and requires a mindset that is worth working for. I applaud you for addressing it so openly and beautifully. I read your blog almost everyday and wouldn’t leave you for a minute even if you are writing a book! Rock on! …and I am still loving you wearing your chucks while you were in New York!! That picture made my day!!! Thanks, thanks, and many thanks!

3. I am still praying for you as you write that His words may shine through you!

I DO know what you mean about being ungrateful, and I wrote about it, too!

Keep remembering His mercies. Every moment!
    HUGS and blessings,
    ~Leslie

4. Marlenda says:

You are not alone, and thanks for being honest about it. BTW, your last photo caption cracked me up!

5. I get it. I soooo get it.

I’m quickly learning you simply can’t be in 2 ( or 3 or 4 or 5) places at once.

Thank you for this insight today. It’s something I really needed to hear.

Donna

6. so I had just posted about my obsession with numbers, followers and “fame” lol I still don’t even have 500 followers and I have no book deal. I know contentment comes from God and his peace and trust in his plan. Even if I had 8,000 followers I would not be content without him. Thanks for your great honesty. Have fun- so much fun- writing your book, it is a blessing!!

7. You are too hard on yourself!!
    I’m excited for the book to come out, you are an amazing person, keep working hard, we will always be here for you!
    XO
    Kristin

8. Kathryn says:

Yes, sometimes I forget to be grateful and content with my blessings. I agree that we have different seasons to our lives and that we should enjoy them each in turn. It isn’t always easy to do so but I think it makes our lives richer and allows us to connect at a much deeper level.

I am happy to read whatever you post, whenever you can. I’m looking forward to your book.

9. I just found your blog today when someone linked to contentment. What have I been missing all this time?? I think I’ll stick around and browse a bit. Thanks for a great post and for being honest!

10. Your post is so timely. My comment is more of a question/food for thought, as I read so many comments from wonderful women who know God. Certainly I, too, struggle with contentment from time to time, but I have learned that peace and contentment come as a result of trusting God. But I also struggle to understand the real, day-to-day situations, such as job losses, that some have written about. These are situations that have very direct and dire, albeit human, consequences. Learning to be content while facing these situations, when they are perhaps even facing bankruptcy or foreclosure, or homelessness, is a difficult lesson, particularly when there are others who seem to have all the material things and far more than others can imagine. What makes a homeless person homeless? or have to file for bankruptcy? Is that God’s will, or the result of choices they have made? Being content in their homelessness would be pretty hard to do, so what is the best way to help these people to find contentment? Paul had nothing material after prison, yet he felt content. Could God have bankruptcy in some people’s lives to teach them important lessons while allowing others to have material wealth beyond other people’s dreams?

Thank you for giving this important topic room to breath and reach so many of us.

Love your blog, love watching you grow, can’t wait to see your book unfold and open the next stage in your life.

11. Cindy Wortman says:

I am inspired each time I check out your blog and appreciate you sharing not only your talents but your life as well. We are human and that only emphasizes our need to rely on God in all things. You are doing that and I know He will bless you in your endeavors. Can’t wait for your book!

12. You are not alone. I need this post…I struggle too often with being content.

13. Oh Miss Mustard Seed, your post is a breath of fresh air! An encouragement to me to do the things that our Heavenly Father has called for me to do! I have been struggling with contentment lately as well. So much so, that I am going off of Pinterest today. I have found that as I look at all the photos and ideas on there, it pulls me down the path of thinking that I’m not good enough…that everyone else is doing everything so much better than me. Not that it’s Pinterest’s fault, merely just a hook that the enemy has caught me with. Any way, enough about my discontentment!

KEEP GOING DOWN THE PATH THE LORD HAS SET BEFORE YOU, NOT LOOKING TO THE LEFT OR RIGHT! It WILL be worth it in the end!

Love from your sister in the Lord! :)

14. Paula says:

Marion, you need not worry about your followers on your blog. I still pull it up almost everyday, sometimes I drive down to my daughter’s apt. to help her with wedding stuff. Like today, I just started going thru my saved blogs. I wish you only the best with your book, can’t wait to buy it. Oh, and you are the one that introduced me to ASCP! I love it. I’m having a hard time finishing one big project without starting others.
    I sincerely love it that you and I think, all the bloggers I read are so forthright with their Faith in the Lord! I feel a connection with so many lovely Christian women. I like your new picture. Blessings, Paula Lusk

15. Wonderful post! Lady give yourself a break. You truly have a ministry through your words and thoughts. Thanks for sharing so much of yourself, but remember to take care of you first.

Light and Love, Robin

16. KarenP says:

I am so thankful that you poured your heart out in that post! I love your blog and love the sprinkled in seeds and reminders that you post to remind us we’re all human. I so needed to hear that “be content where I have you today” as I am constantly frustrated with what I am doing right now and wonder what I am “supposed to be doing” ….be content where I have you ………got it! I’m obviously not done learning something here yet! Thanks for being you :)

17. I love this post.

You have so much going on right now. Such great, wonderful, dream come true things! So glad to see you looking to God and giving him the glory.

18. Susandarn says:

Just *happened*??? ;) on your blog today. THANK YOU for your honesty and sharing! I love watching the unexpected ways that God works in each of us.

19. Marian, there’s not a wicked bone in your body. You are just trying to be everything to everyone right now. I so admire that you are writing a book and blogging at all. I think I would feel completely overwhelmed. Don’t worry about your numbers even if they do go down some. As soon as you’re done with your book, they will rebound and be way higher than ever! You just wait…you’ll see! :)
    HUGS,
    Susan

20. Stephanie K says:

Hi – I have a great fix for wilted hydrangeas! Re-cut the stems at a steep angle and immediately place them into the boiling water for 30 seconds. This helps the stem to open up and get whatever sap etc is blocking the water from hydrating. Your hydrangeas should re-hydrate in about 12-24 hours – seriously – they come back to life! Hope that helps!

21. N Shirley says:

I just want to say when I was trying to log on to your blog last week I kept getting a message that it was unavailable and something about it “exceeding band width” whatever that means. Is it possible that is why your numbers were down?

22. I’ve been away from blogging myself for about three months, and as I’ve meandered back around, I was so inspired to read this post. I had no idea you were writing a book, but I’d love to know more about it. This post spoke to my heart about contentment. I’ve been struggling with a lot of life changes lately, and it’s really helped me to reevaluate my relationship with the Lord and distinguish between my needs and wants. Some of what I thought was so important…like keeping up constantly with my blog, decorating, playing “show and tell”….it was leaving me feeling, well…empty. All of those things are good and fun in and of themselves, but if we let it become the “most important thing” in our lives, we’ll never be satisfied. At least that’s what I’m finding in this season of my life. Blessings to you as you rest in Him and His marvelous will for your life.
    In Him,
    Karen

23. Annie Spackman says:

Hello, I stumbled upon your site after being at The Graphics Fairy. Your post really hit home and brought tears to my eyes. I was humbled right away…and that’s just what I needed. I can tell you are just a precious woman of God….Thank you for serving Him, because in doing so, you served me tonight.

Blessings,
    Annie

24. Kirsten says:

Oh a sister after my own heart! For we truly are family in Jesus! Even if we’ve never met…we are family in the Lord! I just want to Thank you for sharing what the Lord placed on your sweet heart! I know I am blessed to hear you share your heart. Our flesh is down-right ugly isn’t it?! And I am SO glad to know I’m not the only one who neglects other parts of my house while doing my “crazy DIY projects.” Your openness is refreshing! Praising the Lord for your life! I am constantly reminded that ministry is received by God not achieved for God and He has so clearly placed you in this season of your life. Continue to let Him work in and through you and the fragrance of His sweet living grace will shine in and through you.