{time to grow}

I remember when I first started a blog and I would read all about the exciting things that were happening to other bloggers. I never even knew that magazine features and freelance writing jobs and TV shows and book deals and things like that could happen to ordinary stay-at-home moms like myself who shared their passions on a blog.  Once I saw that, my dreams (which started out as just wanting to make a little money to contribute to the family budget) got much bigger.

I went from excitement over all of the possibilities to feeling like amazing things were happening to everyone but me.  (It’s easy to feel like that in the blog world at times.  I’m sure I’m not alone.)  A fellow blogger would share some exciting news and, while I was genuinely happy for her, there was a twinge.  That twinge.  The “why not me” twinge.  I hate those twinges, because they’re bringing something out in me that I wish wasn’t there.  A little insecurity, maybe some envy.  As I got myself all tied in knots about “why not me”, I was totally missing something very important: I wasn’t ready.

If some big opportunity had fallen in my lap a couple of years ago, I wouldn’t have been ready for it.   I needed time to grow.  Time to refine my style, to become a better photographer and writer and to learn lessons about being the president of my own company.  I needed to experience triumphant successes and epic failures. Looking back, I can’t believe that HGTV.com and Cottages & Bungalows asked me to write for them.  ME…someone with no professional writing, photography or design experience!   I have truly been doing it all by the seat of my pants and I’m so thankful they took a chance on me and gave me time to sharpen my skills.  I know I still have a ton of room to grow in more areas than I can name, but I feel better prepared for the most exciting opportunity received in my e-mail inbox to date.  (I’ll tell you all about it when I can.)  I now see that waiting has been an important part of the process and I’m glad for it.

So, if you’re feeling “that twinge” and impatient and a little insecure, just remember that there’s a time for everything and this may be your time to grow.

Comments

1. Like everyone else, I’m just dying to hear what landed in your inbox! I don’t think you fully realize this, but you are legendary in the diy home decor blog world. Seriously. Legendary.

I just started my blog last month, but spent many months in advance researching what’s out there. Time and time again I was directed right back here…

Congrats!

2. Beanoto4 says:

This is my first comment on your blog.. I read many blogs but your’s is my favorite. I hope your news won’t take you away from us… So Happy for your success. You really are a very talented designer, photographer and writer. I would like to share one of my favorite quotes, “Don’t let your success go to your head or your failures go to your heart”.

• Miss Mustard Seed says:

Great quote! Yes, I don’t ever want to be too big for my britches…well, literally or figuratively! Ha! Anyway, when I met some girls at the Lucketts open house, some of them said, “You’re so grounded.” That cracked me up because I’m just me! Of course I’m grounded. :) Anyway, thanks.

Oh, and the newest opportunity will not take away from my blog.

3. Janet says:

Good evening Marian,

So here is my idea of where your career is headed

Think Mathew Mead, but much cuter and with a feminine touch. That’s what I see in hour future.

Am I close ??

I enjoyed this post and YES …I have felt that ‘twinge’

I try my best to ignore it and simply be the best I can.

Have a great weekend
    Janet xox

4. Janet says:

Your future…not hour future..sheesh!

These iPhone keypads are so tiny!!
    ;-)

5. great post! your experience shared is much appreciated. a few months ago i took the leap and opened my own store front. it’s been a thrilling, intense and eye opening exprience. i envy those bloggers that appear to have it ALL together….the business, blog and home life. i am trying hard to put my business venture and home life in order. i pray someday (sooner than later) to have my blog come to fruition the way i envision it. thanks for the uplifting words. :)

looking forward to hearing your newest adventure!

6. Thank you SO much for writing this. You have no idea . . . I just had this conversation today – are my tutorials too involved? Too many steps? Is my title wrong? Do people assume because I can paint that they won’t be able to? WHAT AM I DOING WRONG???

Then I said, Too Bad. I am who I am. I write the way I write and I paint the way I paint. I have a loyal, albeit small, following and that’s just fine. Then I come along your post. Thank you, thank you, thank you. It’s time for me to grow. Some more :D

and good luck with your new venture/adventure! Can’t wait to hear what it is!

7. Claudia says:

I am so happy for your success Miss Mustard Seed. Your blog is an inspiration.

8. Marian, I read your blog every day. There are only 3 blogs I absolutely do not miss reading, and yours is one of them and has become my favorite. Just as I log into facebook, yahoo for email, etc…..I chase down Miss Mustard Seed for wonderful inspiration. Looking forward to hearing about your next fabulous opportunity!

9. Congratulations on your new opportunity – whatever it may be (someone commented above on a new TV show – but I’m not sure that’s what your opportunity is yet), I’m sure you’ll make a great success of whatever opportunity comes your way.

10. Thank you so much from one who is just getting started with a blog and already feeling discouraged. At what point did you determine that it was indeed a business and went through all the steps to make it a legal entity, whatever those steps may be… I’m clueless!!!
    And congrats on your new endeavor- God is good!!!

11. michele says:

Congratulations to you, and you deserve it. I have enjoyed all the things you do. And as a testament to your success, even your advertisers are interesting and unique.

12. I can’t tell you how perfectly timed this post is. You rock!

13. Well said. So excited for you and your new opportunity.

14. Coming to you from “the other side”– someone who once was a stay-at-home mom who is now an empty -nester looking forward to her “next adventure”–I have some interesting things in development. For me, the focus is on realizing that there will never be a “perfect” time…and that ANY time we have is a gift, so go for it! You go, Girl!!

15. Very good advice indeed!!
    Thanks
    Hugs
    SueAnn

16. You are so inspiring. Thanks for writing this…very encouraging! Blessings!!

17. I’m dying to know your news. You’ve mentioned it a few times and I REALLY want to know the good news.

18. Thank you for your words of encouragement and inspiration, as I merrily trudge along…learning and growing with my blog.

Jess

19. Kelly says:

Whoa, girl! Your very last sentence really hit me with bricks….in a good way! I have been debating back and forth with myself in wanting set up my own mini business that would be geared towards to Deaf clients. (and hearing, too!) You just gave me a good shove and with that, I hope to jump things up when the New Years rings! Thank you! Your Deaf chick friend! xo

• Miss Mustard Seed says:

What a wonderful idea! I can’t wait to see what you come up with. :) I wish you the best!

20. I totally understand the “twinge”. I had a semi-successful blog once upon a time but deleted it (someone I knew found it and I wasn’t ready to be an “open” blogger, I know now that was really dumb). It has been hard starting over from scratch but I try so very hard to enjoy others success. I have to remind myself I did it once before so I can do it again!

21. Thanks so much for your words. I am a new blogger and I get discouraged a lot. I feel like no one reading anyway so why make new posts. I new to remember that no blogger got thousands of followers overnight. Patience is not my strong suit. Thank you for the message, I needed to hear those words.

• Miss Mustard Seed says:

Yep, exaclty. I started with three followers…myself, my mom and a friend I begged to follow me. Every blog has to start somewhere.

22. Wow, did this hit the spot! I have only been blogging for about two months and really had been feeling like I was “late to the show” and not very good at this thing called blogging. Google analytics didn’t help with the part about visitors being “not socially engaged”. But then I read your blog today and I took a deep breath. I just need to take it easy on myself and keep plugging! Perfectionism is a bad gene to have when yo uneed to be patient and wait on the Lord!

Love your work and all the best on this new opportunity.
    Kim

23. This post was very inspiring and I think I may have to write this phrase down somewhere. “Time To Grow” Such a great reminder!!

24. Time to Grow and Time to Glow! Congratulation! You are such a huge inspiration to so many of us who look forward to your next post. I’ve never been huge fan of shabby chic trend until I came across of your blog. There is absolutely nothing shabby in your projects, but plenty of chic. After some time reading your post, I couldn’t hold myself any longer and moved my car out of the garage (for the obvious reason). Wish you best of luck and your creativity flourish.

25. Mary Ann,
    Thank you for sharing your heart. While my passionate pursuit is different than yours, this is exactly how I feel right now – impatient and insecure. Thank you for reminding me that there is still room for growth and learning valuable lessons.

26. I have been reading your blog for a while now, and it has been an inspiration to me. I often feel the same feelings you expressed in your post, not just in relation to blogging or crafting, but also in other areas of my life. I have to remind myself of something an old professor of mine told my class. She said, “everyone has their own path, and it is important to not compare your path to others.” I have to remind myself of this often, or else it is easy to get overwhelmed with feelings of inadequacy and failure as you watch other people achieve success. I too hate to feel envious.

Thanks!

27. Thanks so much for this post. Definitely needed to hear that right now. I constantly have a tendency to compare myself to others. This is a great reminder that great things take time and to take this time to grow in a lot of different areas until that time comes :)

28. Thank you for this post Marian!! It just helped me to get up again…Thank you!
    And I’m truly happy for you getting another great opportunity! :) no twinge!

29. Love all of your advice and wisdom that you freely share with us. So many times I wish I could take you out for coffee and pick your brain for an hour. I am finally realizing (after a year and a half of blogging) what you have said here, so well. I feel like I’m at a crossroads with my business and wish I could get some seasoned advice. Thanks so much for the daily inspiration. You’re my hero.

• Miss Mustard Seed says:

Oh, I wish we could hang out for coffee as well. I love it when I get together with other bloggers and/or business owners and we can share experiences. It’s always so helpful!

30. Yay Marian!! I can’t wait to hear the news! It’s been awesome following your adventures and watching you become the amazing superstar you are!! xo

31. Thank you for this, Marian. It’s exactly what I needed to hear today :)

32. Marian! Thanks so much!! I really needed to read this! I started a local to my area wedding blog back in August and its so dead! I barely have readers and as I’m doing my posts I often just want to hit the erase button and ask myself “WHY? WHY ARE YOU WASTING YOUR TIME?” There have been times where I just want to give up and times that I just say forget it but after reading this I feel motivated! I have those “twinges” all the time but now I know its just going to push me to be a better blogger. DO something fresh and unique. Thanks for this :)!!

33. Marian! Thanks so much!! I really needed to read this! I started a local to my area wedding blog back in August and its so dead! I barely have readers and as I’m doing my posts I often just want to hit the erase button and ask myself “WHY? WHY ARE YOU WASTING YOUR TIME?” There have been times where I just want to give up and times that I just say forget it but after reading this I feel motivated! I have those “twinges” all the time but now I know its just going to push me to be a better blogger. DO something fresh and unique. Thanks for this !!

34. Crafty Mama says:

Definitely needed to hear that. Thank you!

35. Thanks so much for the words of encouragement! They were perfect! You deserve all of the amazing things that you are experiencing right now :) I do often get that “twinge”…. and I also catch myself thinking that good ol’ blog land is overpopulated with blogs just like mine…. and perhaps I missed out on my chance. I hope someday when I’ve “grown” I will look back and be able to say the same things you are saying right now! Congrats again on all of your success you truly are AMAZING!

36. While I can only echo all the words of encouragement, inspiration, and motivation written in the comments above…thank you, from the bottom of my heart. It’s a BIG world, and most of us feel pretty small out there in our attempt to make a mark! I recently left my corporate job to follow my own passion and it’s been a roller coaster of a ride. No one ever said it would be easy, and I never expected it to be, but the highs and lows are very definitive, and patience (a virtue which I am often lacking…) is a must! Your words have given me, and obviously many more avid readers of your blog, a gleaming hope that the future holds many wonderful and unexpected things. Great job, congrats on your success ( I even say this without a twinge!), and I look forward to reading all about it.

37. Lisa treece says:

I needed this today!! Thank u for always encouraging us!

38. Such wonderful advice & encouragement! Thank you~

39. Thanks for all your words of encouragement! I really appreciate it! “You have to start somewhere…” are words I’ve been saying to myself for over a year now. It’s like I know I’m putting a faulty foot forward, but it’s my best faulty foot. You know what I mean? One baby step at a time until I GROW up! You look great ALL GROWN UP!!!

40. Petria says:

Bless your sweet heart Marian. You may not be a professional writer but you write from the heart and as you can see from the many posts, you touch our hearts as well.

Trackbacks

1. […] {time to grow} @ Miss Mustard Seed {We all feel that twinge, don’t we?  This is a great perspective on that feeling!} […]