Slipcover Video Tutorial Series Part Six – Skirt, Cushion, Tips & Inspiration

It’s finally here.  The last installment of the video slipcover tutorial series.  I really hope this has been helpful to those who are making slipcovers for the first time and still informative for those who have made them before.  I’ve loved reading all of the comments from you about the projects you’re about to tackle and I can’t wait to see them.  I think I’ll have a link party in a week or so (with a giveaway), so everyone can share their work.

If you missed the previous tutorials, you can check them out here:

Part One – Sewing Custom Piping
Part Two – Cutting the Fabric
Part Three – Positioning Fabric and Pin Fitting Back
Part Four – Pin Fitting Back, Wings and Arms
Part Five – Pin Fitting Arms, Seat and Apron

This “webisode” shows how to pin and sew the skirt and cushion.  In addition, I show how to make the ribbon closure on the back as well as sewing tricky places where two seams meet.  Enjoy!

A full transcript of this tutorial is available HERE.
In other news, the plumber is here this morning to rearrange the pipes in our half bathroom to work with the pedestal sink and hopefully we’ll have the flooring put down this week!

Comments

1. Marion,
    you are the best for taking time out to do this series with all that you have going on. Thanking you from the bottom of my heart. I hope to be able to participate in the link party that you have.
    You must be beyond excited to have the plumber there.

2. The dropcloths that I have bought from Loewes have had lots of "pilling" on them after I have washed them. Is this normal? Thanks for the video series!

3. I have made only one slipcover for a small chair. Maybe I will try again. I love my old singer but wish it had built in zig zag instead of attachments.

4. Marian, I am planning on covering all the cushions on our screened-in porch with drop cloth. I was thinking of dyeing the cloth to a darker color. Maybe a dark brown then use throw pillows with more color. Have you tried this before? Would you recommend dyeing drop cloth? Thanks for the info. Libby

5. Awww thanks for the video series….You are a sweet heart. The chair turned out darling, and the music at the end made me teary eyed. Well done and Blessings!

6. Marion,
    I wrote you a while back…one of the "scared to make a sofa slipcover folks"!
    I have yet to tackle the sofa, but I did make a slipcover for a wing chair a couple of weeks ago – took me forever. I looked up tutorials online and only found 2 that I could understand. I haven't finished the bottom – can't decide what I want to do yet.

I still have the matching wing chair to do, so I am looking forward to sitting down and watching all six of your tutorials at once- taking notes, and hopefully saving time on this next one.

Now, that your tutorial is finished, I feel as though I could slipcover the world!!!! THANKS!!
    Rhonda

7. Marian,
    I'm following along and so happy with my results so far. You should see my rolled arms..they fit perfectly and my welting…PERFECT!!!

Thanks to you.

Janet xox

PS…can you tell I'm a happy camper?

8. A little bit of pilling is normal, but I sort of like the nubby look. It shouldn't be crazy pilly, though. If it is, you may have a drop cloth fabric that's a little different (which I've had happen even with the same brand.) Don't they know we don't use our drop cloths for painting?!

9. This is just brilliant! Thanks for taking the time to show.

10. I love the inspiration pictures at the end. I recently re upholstered a small bench in my bedroom, and I think I'll just have to make a slipcover for it like the one you made for the vanity stool. Love it!
    By the way I finished my second wing chair slip cover last night. The unupholstered arms were quite a challenge, and made the whole fitting process like a puzzle! I'll have the results on my blog later.
    -Paulette
    -Paulette

11. Your video's are so helpful. Thank you. The plumber – I love plumbers. Looking forward to the posts of the bathroom as it is transformed.
    - Joy

12. New pipes!.. indeed a reason to be thankful! Also thanks for the paint tip.. looking forward to trying it.. wonder if it will be at all like Milk Paint which can be interesting to use.

maddie

13. Another great installment, Marian! Based on the comments, you have definitely inspired some new-to-slipcover-sewers. I have made a few slipcovers but I have gotten so much inspiration… love how you are so relaxed…it really makes me look forward to the next one instead of terrified of making a mistake – thank you!

14. I have a blog award for you posted on my blog. Accept only if you have time to participate.

15. Love your tutorial! I just got a wingchair with the intent of making a slipcover just in time! Thank you, thank you, thank you for all your time and effort on this! You can't imagine the encouragement you're spreading around in the blog world! You make it look so easy and stress-free!!! I am so excited to start! Thank you again!

16. Thank you doesn't even begin to cover how I feel! You have inspired me to make a slip cover for my wingchair.

You are so laid back and calm; truly a comfort to me as I tend to get a bit anxious if everything doesn't go perfectly!!

Thanks for all of your time, experience, and help!

Kaye

17. Thank you so much for sharing this video series!! It has been so helpful!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

18. THANK YOU for the tutorial..I feel confident that I can do this..Have a great week..

19. Anonymous says:

Marian….you are amazing! Thanks so much for this series. I have been wanting to slipcover an old couch with attached pillows. Kelly at Much to Do With Nothing had done it by cutting off the pillows and making them separate – which began my inspiration. She answered some questions for me and then sent me to your blog for the instructions and final inspiration I needed. Your calm demeanor and encouragement sent me on my way. My project in now in progress and I have had a number of adventures along the way – yikes! I would love to participate if you have a show and tell, but it might take me a week or two to finish. Thanks again for taking so much time to put this series together. It is so very appreciated!! Maureen (mb99999@yaho[email protected])

• Michelle says:

Not sure if anyone will see this 2 years later, but I am inheriting a sofa and loveseat with attached cushions. They are a cream color, and I want to slipcover them. Is cutting off the pillows the only way to make it look nice and all stay in place? I would like to avoid doing that if possible.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

20. thank you so much! i know it took time and effort to create all the videos, but i'm feeling a tiny bit confident to try one myself now … 1 more week until spring break, then i'm going to attempt to cover a small square ottoman … *squeal*!!!!

21. Thanks so much! but nooooooooooooooooo! to a linky party next week, I'm still waiting on my supplies to get here lol that's ok I'll bore you with my attempts at a later date lol

22. Marian,

Thank you so very much for doing this! I finally sat down and finished watching your series this evening. I learned so much and could have saved myself some time (HA!) on the wing back chair slip I made BEFORE this tutorial series. How I survived, I DO NOT KNOW. However, I sit here looking at my wing chair and feel very happy the slipcover is complete. NEXT TIME, thanks to YOU, I WILL skip the 40 or so mistakes I made along the way the first time 'round!!!!!

You're the best!!!

xo
    ~Kolein

23. Hi… I am just starting my first slipcover… on a sofa! I've been looking at other video tutorials, and this is the very best one! Very timely! Several of my commenters recommended yours and I am so thrilled to have found you!

24. A HUGE, HUGE, THANK YOU!!! I had just been given my grandmother's wingback chair and was wanting to make a slipcover for it when I came across your tutorial! Talk about perfect timing! Your video was SO helpful, and I couldn't be more grateful that you took the time to do it for all of us.

My slip is now done and looking gorgeous thanks to your help!

You can check it out here: http://westermanfam.blogspot.com/2011/03/slipcovered-wingback.html

Shelley

25. Shelley says:

Thank you for this great tutorial series. For a long time I have wanted to cover some chairs that I have but haven't had the extra money to buy the fabric. I love the drop cloth idea. I can afford that AND it goes perfectly with the color scheme I'm wanting to do. Thanks again! You are marvelous!

26. I can't wait to start a slip cover! Thanks so much for the tutorial!

27. Cindy says:

Hi Marion, I have just spent the last 2+ hours totally engrossed in your blog! I spotted 2 wingback chairs today at a thrift store ($79 for both) and wanted to find a good slipcover tutorial before buying them. Your tutorials were so helpful, and you do a fantastic job narrating as you are working! Thanks; I'm sure it was a lot of work to do.
    Your blog is amazing – I admire you for taking a leap of faith in starting your business! Incidentally, I too am married to a youth pastor and money has always been tight. I have enjoyed decorating our home with castoffs, yard sale finds and more to keep within our budget. I am eager to start slipcovering all our furniture with drop cloths!!!!!
    By the way, several of your slipcovered chairs have wood trim…maybe your next tutorial can show the rest of us out here in blogland how to get around that.
    Thanks and God bless!

28. THANK YOU! I am almost finished making a slipcover for a wing chair I purchased at an estate sale years ago. It's taken about 6 months to near completion. I've been so stuck in so many places along the way, so it just sat there. Obviously, I didn't know about your blog and video series on slipcovers. Your method is so logical. Your clear teaching and calm voice are a pleasure. I incorporated anywhere from 2-4 extra inches for tuck in, but I noticed that you don't include this extra fabric. I'm struggling to get all that bulk reduced where the back, seat and back of wings and arm fabric meets, but still have some fabric for tuck in. My chair doesn't have a cushion to sit on top of the seat area.
    Thank you again for your amazing gift of instruction. I'm going to look for another chair to cover so that I can use your tutorial.
    If you have any ideas for reducing fabric bulk, please share.

29. Anonymous says:

Awesome tutorial! I just got a wingchair but it's a recliner, do you have any suggestions for slipcovering one of those? I've looked around but I haven't found much…maybe that should tell me something?;) I'm hoping to keep the somewhat fitted look while incorporating the footstool and sewn on seat. Thanks so much for your help! My email: [email protected]

30. MMS, I have a wingback very similar to the one shown in your video. I LOVE drop clothes but I am planning on using the ticking from an old feather bed instead. I have NEVER sewn a slipcover and found your videos to be of great help to me as I sit anxious and frustrated-worried about starting the project even though it looks like you could do it blindfolded! I am wondering since I am using antique ticking should I omit the piping just to give it a more farmhouse/primitive look??? or do you think I should go with the piping? I will ask YOU this question because for ALL the blogs out there…you are the one that moves mountains in ME! ~Melanie (Rustic Ruffles on facebook)

31. By far the most wonderful and most helpful tutorial I have ever seen online. I made a slipcover for my stool in my studio last weekend and just recieved a very large sectional that is in good shape but is ugly as sin and desperately needs to be covered over. I bought my dropcloths today for it after watching your tutorial. There was a lot of great information in it and I’m ready to tackle the monstrous beast in my living room. Thanks so much for taking the time to put this out there. U ROCK! I’ll be back in a few weeks to tell you how it went, as I have to work on it in short bursts. Hugs!

32. Cristiana says:

WOW!! what a fabulous tutorial! Thank you for taking the time to post, I can’t wait to give it a try.

33. Just wanted to say ¡MUCHAS GRACIAS!
    I’m not a big fan of the modern style furniture that’s available in the stores here, so am on the lookout for good solid used pieces I can reupholster or slipcover. Just did my first piece recently; making cushion covers for a rattan loveseat. Combined two (different sized) cushions that fit in the bottom to make one long cushion, and then for the back cushion we glued two 4 cm thick pieces of foam together and used an electric knife to shape it. Not perfect, but we’re happy with it :)
    We did buy a couch a couple years ago and within months the cushions were breaking down and the vinyl piping started cracking (it’s a pretty dry climate). So while in the U.S. I bought 25 yards of denim and brought back (in three suitcases. haha) which I’m going to use to make a slipcover. These videos were helpful in understanding how I need to go about that.

34. Thank you so much for the time you spent with such a busy life. You really did an excellent job. You are extremely gifted and may you continue to be blessed.

35. :) Now it’s time for me to implement all this on the chair waiting for me! So glad I took the time to watch all these – I definitely picked up some tips to make this one easier than the others I’ve done.
    One question I have is about the envelope opening on the cushion. I’ve always done the zipper opening at the back of the cushion. THis looks SO much easier but is it hard to get the cushion in and out? I’m assuming not since this is the way you do it :) I think I’m gonna give it a try!

36. Mary Lou says:

I just finished watching your series on slipcovers, and want to thank you for taking the time to do this. I made a slipcover for my sofa about 2 years ago, which is ok, but I’m not super pleased with it. I am trying to get my courage up to try doing them again, this time 2 matching chairs…..and maybe the sofa again. Your instructions, plus the pictures, will be a big help to me. Thanks again!

37. Vicki says:

Marian,
    I’m starting on the 8 parson’s chairs for my dining room table that I asked you about. (Whether to make a pattern or pin each chair) As I pin, I’m just wondering about how much extra room you allow in order to be able to slip it on and off easily. These chairs have no arms, but do have a roll at the top of the back.
    I’m so excite to try this. Thanks again for your great tutorials and congrats on the paint line. I can’t wait to try it.
    Vicki

38. Mary Lou says:

Thank you so much for doing this tutorial series. I made a slipcover for my sofa about 2 years ago, and while ok, was not really what I had in mind. I knew I needed to slipcover the chairs also, but have put it off out of fear of attempting and getting really frustrated. Using your tutorial, I have just made a practice slipcover for one of my chairs, and am so pleased, both at how it turned out and how much easier it was for me. Even my skeptical hubby exclaimed over it! I am off to Lowe’s to buy the dropcloth for the real thing. Then maybe one day, on to the sofa.

39. Sharon McCullough says:

Hello, Just wanted to thank you for doing this video tutorial on makin g a slip cover and also am happy that you made them out of Painters drop cloths. So affordable. No wrong or right side to work with. I have been wanting to do this for over a year. Just this morning I walked into Goodwill here and low and behold there was a pair of wingback chairs in sound shape structurally. There was no price so the cashier asked the manager and I nearly fell out when she said 7 dollars each. Well i guess you know who had them loaded up into her van and whose garage they are now sitting in ——- Mine :}. i do sew some but I got to looking for a tutorial for this , and you have a wonderful tutorial. Thank you “sew” much. I cant wait to get this project started. Awesome. Thanks so much. Sharon McCullough in Rural Hall NC May God Bless Your work!!!!!!

40. Dannie says:

Great Job on the sewing and the tutorial. It was easy to follow and made it easy for me to try. I will be trying this one next week. I will have visitors at the end of the month and I want to have this done by then. Thank You so much for the information and tips.
    God Bless you and Yours,
    Dannie

41. Thank you for this wonderfully complete and encouraging tutorial! For 6 months I had been staring at a glider that needed to be re-covered, but I didn’t really know where to start. Your techniques made the project so much more accessible and I now have a beautifully re-covered piece that fits perfectly with the decor! It’s not a slipcover, but the methods were easily transferable to the process of fully recovering the glider cushions.

Before: https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/255295_3965486449120_1793590326_n.jpg
    After: https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/482000_3965487009134_1479687252_n.jpg

42. That was a great tutorial! Thank you so much. You explain things in great detail. You would make an excellent teacher. Please continue to share your creativity.

43. I just came across your site, I love it!!! I am ready to slipcover an old loveseat for my bedroom! wish me luck!!

44. debra says:

The pleat you are making is called a knife pleat – FYI.

45. Tammy says:

This is great, and you work just like I do–no paper patterns! I think I can do this with your help:) Thank you!

46. Lindsey says:

Thank you for the simple to follow tutorial. I made my first slip cover and, if I must say so myself, it looks pretty great- thanks to YOU. I love that your tutorial is so “laid back” and that you anticipate mistakes and show us how to go back and fix them. Loved it and I kind of feel like we just hung out. :)

47. just wondering: do you pre-wash the ribbon before applying it? Have you ever used velcro as well to secure slipcover closures? I’m getting ready to work on a 7 piece sectional with large cushions. I’m not sure an envelope closure will work. Currently, the cushions have zippers which I find scary to contemplate.

48. Thank you so much for this series of videos!! I have wanted to try a slip cover for years! I sew pretty good (used to make custom children’s boutique clothing)…but ad a hard time wrapping my arms around the whole thing! You broke it down, so simply! Thank you a ton!! You rock! I know this is old…but it is still very helpful!!

Char

49. All right, that settles it. I’m making a slipcover! I love your tutorials, thank you so much for posting this! Because of them, I feel confident to attempt making a slipcover myself, especially since I can’t find anyone locally to do it for me. Thanks again!

Trackbacks

1. [...] I just love it. Can’t wait to have time to do the next one. I found a superb video tutorial on Miss Mustard seed’s blog. In fact, everything I know about slipcovers comes from her alone. I highly recommend viewing her 6 [...]

2. [...] never attempted anything like a slipcover.  It seemed so out of my league, until I came across Miss Mustard Seed’s video tutorials.  I’m a visual learner and they were just what I [...]