For the back room of our shop, we decided to go with a pink and brown fanciful harlequin pattern. This is actually a simple (though tedious) wall treatment and such a fun one for a little girl’s bedroom. (Hang with me on the pictures, here. They were taken in flourescent lighting, ick.) So, I’m going to share how I did this. The boring part of this project is the measuring. Who knew I would have to use geometry as a decorative artist! The center point of my harlequin pattern was 18″ and I chose 20″ as a width. This was just a width that was pleasing to my eye. So, I measured 18″ up and 20″ over. On the top and bottom, I measured 10″ over. I then connected the dots to make the diamond. From the top & bottom points, I measured 20″ over and from the center point, I measured 20″ over and 18″ up. I went around the room this way, making adustments when I came to a corner. Sometimes I would wrap the diamond around the corner and sometimes I would strech or smush the diamond order to make it fit. You can do this as long as it still looks right to the eye.
I used my brush to freehand the diamonds, following the marks I had measured out. For a more sophisticated look, I would’ve taped this off to have straight and clean lines. I wanted this to look loose and “illustrative”, so I did it by hand.
I would then start to fill in the diamonds, keeping the paint heavier towards the edges.
I had a cup of water on hand to dip my brush into in order to blend and soften the paint as I moved toward the center.
Just watch for drips and keep working the paint to blend it in.
The border running around the top of the room was just random swirls and scrolls.
Once the white was dry, I added some brown outline to highlight the scrolls, frame the harlequin and add a fleur de lis detail.
My husband came in at one point and asked if I meant for these lines to be straight. When I answered that they are exactly as I wanted them to be he said, “Well, if you want them to be crooked then it looks great.” Gotta love that man of mine.
I wanted this finish to feel like the hand drawn background of a children’s book. I described it as “illustrative” and I think I achieved that. Taping everything off to make crisp, perfect lines was just not right for this look.
I know this wasn’t a comprehensive tutorial. I had a lot of work to do and stopping to take pictures at every step just didn’t happen.
I also completed my Pottery Barn inspired mural and I brought my camera and…it didn’t have a memory card in it! Ah! I even tried to bum one off of my client (who is a friend as well), but she didn’t have one. So, I’m going to go once the nursery is set up and get pictures for you. I love how it turned out and I can’t wait to share it.